Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Couple Beginner Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Couple Beginner Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
Go with the new Sightron S3 in 6-24x50 with mil dots. Glass is clearer than the NF, solid turrets and clicks and 100 MOA elevation compared to maybe 50 with the Bushnell and less clear glass. Go to www.6mmbr.com and read the writeups on it.
BH
I agree with the Sightron S3 recommendations. I think you would be quite happy with this scope. And you'll get this improved clarity for about 1/2 the cost of a NF.

Before someone else asks the question BountyHunter, may I dare ask if you have had the opportunity to directly compared the NF scopes to the new Sightron S3s in the field yourself?

Be aware and be prepared. I claimed the SIII was clearer than the NF and those posted words shook the very earth beneath a number of NF users on another thread just this past week. Some NF users equate the brand of scope on a rifle as a measurement of the character of the person using the scope.

Last edited by phorwath; 03-17-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Silver Member

+1 on the harris bipod and a great place to look for one and a scope is www.theopticzone.com. Well fron nz atleast it was. got both ere within 5 days from the us. still impressed with the service.
.308 shouldnt need a muzzle break. i shoot one. but in saying that its not going to stop me making ont to install. but that shouldnt cost me anything.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:27 AM

BuffaloBob, thank you for the clear and concise description of scope mounting and adjustment. Exactly what I was looking for!

The Sightron S3 looks like an amazing scope, I will definitely keep that in mind when I get to that part of the purchase. However I am not sure if I will be trying to reach out to 1000 yards! I don't know of any ranges anywhere around me that have that kind of space. A couple buddies houses maybe, but I am thinking I will stick around more like 750 at the longest.

But this being my first LR gun, it might take me a couple summers to try that length of shot! Do you guys mostly buy online or local as far as optics go? I would love to spring for the Sightron but adding another $200 or more onto the price tag of the 4200 and not necessarily needing all of the 100 MOA adjustment seeing as 1000 yards out is probably not in the planbook. I was just wondering where you guys find the best prices, seeing as this is going on a $300 gun to start with!

The SSS LVT I assume you are talking about the Sharp Shooter Supply stock?

Thanks guys for helping me with all the info. This thing is adding up quick and more than I was budgeting for what I hoped to be a budget build first!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Inorder to be able to purchase more guns you should never dump the clutch when the rpms are over 1200. Buying a new pair of Z rated tires every week will deplete your funds.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Bronze Member

For long range, I chose an SII 6.5-20x50 for $650 plus an additional $50 mail in rebate. I kicked around a large number of scopes, and Sightron was my final choice and I stand behind it 100% (and no, I dont work for Sightron, just like their stuff).

One scope you might consider is the Super Sniper scopes by SWFA.

SWFA Riflescopes SWFA SS Rifle Scopes SWFA SS Scopes

A 16x42 with Mil-dot, rear focus, and good for use on a .50 BMG for $319.00. As someone else said, a fixed power is good for just shooting at the range. If that is what you are doing, stay fixed power, save some cash for other upgrades.

Also, might try a Nikon on for size. They have good glass and are reasonably priced.

Good luck with the rifle. I just got my first one set up (REM 700 SPS Tactical .308, Harris style bi-pod, Warne tactical rings and 20 moa base (for free as I won them in another shooting sport) and the sightron 6.5-20x50 SII). I also am looking at range time, but want another use for a rifle like this.

If I had not won the Warne Tactical stuff, I would have used Weaver bases and rings. They are inexpensive and I have NEVER had one fail on anything from .223 to .308. So if savings is your game, you might look at those.

All in all, I have right at $1200 wrapped up into it and it shoots sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards.