Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Corrected FPS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Gold Member

Re: Corrected FPS?

The one in the menu bar at the top of this page.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:46 PM

Like I said I'm new here and cant wait till my new computer arrives so I don't have to do this over my phone. But thank you very very much for your help now it is up to me to pull the trigger to pull the trigger correctly.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Agree with previous advise...

Also, you will need,

Accurate zero point

Accurate Scope height

Would recommend shooting at least 3 shot groups every 200-300 yds beyond zero point out to 800-900 yds, the farther the better and you will be validating actual drops in the process. IMO, 600 yards doesn't cut it unless your not going to shoot beyond 600 yds.

Make sure there is no cant in your rifle and your scope is properly mounted. Any cant in rifle will throw your shots off. the longer the distance, the greater the error.

Good shooting,

Mark
Old 12-30-2012, 01:54 AM

Thank you for that advice I do indeed want to shoot past 600 yards however I do not have a way to accurately determine that type of range past 600 yards that is why I want to have the most accurate ballistic projections as possible I still do no do not trust myself to range with that much accuracy using m mil mil dots to develop a good data book. But if i can consistently plug numbers into my calculator that give me the correct dope from 100-600 i can use that information to refine my range estimation.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky300 View Post
Thank you for that advice I do indeed want to shoot past 600 yards however I do not have a way to accurately determine that type of range past 600 yards that is why I want to have the most accurate ballistic projections as possible I still do no do not trust myself to range with that much accuracy using m mil mil dots to develop a good data book. But if i can consistently plug numbers into my calculator that give me the correct dope from 100-600 i can use that information to refine my range estimation.
Another requirement - no sense setting yourself up for LR if you don't have a range finder. I currently use a Leica. I set up my shooting spot and them walk out with targets and range back to the shooting spot if I want even 100 yd increments.

Make sure you put an anti-cant level on your scope. It will be an eye opener the first time you use it.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 AM

I do have a Leopold range finder but its only good for about 450 on my neighbors horse. And 550 on a house you guys know the deal. I do have a Vortex scope level and will start saving for a longer range finder. Until then I intend to refine my loads hence my starting at 600 and under. Baby steps, baby steps. Witch is sad as I used to go 9 of 10 at 500 with irons in the Marines. But a KD course is much different than unknown distance first shot accuracy with no wind flags.
Any other recommendations on 800yd non reflective tgt range finders?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

A google shows the Leica 1000 going for about $600 and the 1600's going for about $650 and the 1600's have baro pressure, temp and angle of shot. Strongly recommend the 1600 for the extra $50. Put a watch on Ebay and check these forums and you can get a good used one for a good price.