Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

correct use of wind meter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 12:40 AM
Bronze Member

correct use of wind meter

Have purchased a wind meter to get a better feel of what happens out in the field. Can anyone shed light on how to use the meter correctly.

Do you
- hold the wind meter full face into the wind to get the maximum reading and then use factors to determine the adjustment if you're not shooting 90deg into the wind

or

hold the wind meter in the direction that you're shooting and then use the full correction as per your tables

What other pitfalls should I be careful of ?
Old 07-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

Good question!

I too just added a wind meter to the dodad stuff in the shooting pack. Here in Wyoming the wind is always blowing its just a mater of how bad!
Have gotten used to just reading the mirage and the grass to judge wind but the meter should help put a speed in real #s a bullistic program could use.
Like you though I'm wondering if you use full face value of wind and factor the angle or if the meters will work good enough at an angle to the wind to use that value?
Old 07-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

I am considering purchasing a inexpensive wind meter and I want to reactivate this thread. Do these wind meters work by just holding the device in the direction of your shot, or do you have to hold it directly in the wind and calculate the degree of angle perpendicular to your shot?
THanks.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

Pvan, use your first option. Take the max value of the wind and use factors to determine what you should adjust for. If at a right angle to your shot, take the full value. If offset by ~45 degrees, take half the value. If head on or at your back, no correction. You don't have to be super accurate, so operating in 45 degree increments is good enough.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

THanks!