Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Cooper Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 02:23 PM

Re: Cooper Rifles

I have a 280 AI in a Model 52 that I got a few years ago now from Prophetriver.com

Totally stellar performance. During my first fireforming i did with standard 280 Rem ammo it shot just under 1MOA - during fire forming.

It shoots 1/3 of an inch with 139 grain horandays and 60 grain of H4831 every time out. I ran into this load immediately on the first reload session - i'm sure i could get better accuracy if i actually tried to get a better load.

The action is unbelieveably smooth - and the trigger breaks super crisp and clean although i think it's set between 3-4 pounds - it shoots so damn good i don't want to even bother to try and lighten it up.

The round is also fantastic - as it's such a great crossover round - load it down to shoot like a 7mm-08 for deer - load up with 160's to shoot like a 7mm Rem Mag for moose if you want.

The other benefit of the cooper - and any rifle really that is this accurate - is that you start to learn what is you - vs what is the gun far faster than with a gun that is around 1 MOA. if a shot is .75 of an inch off to one side - you know for sure you just pulled it and you can think about what you need to do with the way you're pulling the trigger to change things. Quickens the shooting learning curve for you.

It's a keeper for a lifetime - the gun and the round for me anyways.

T.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:09 PM

Just to confirm what other shooters have said in this thread, my Coopers were from Prophetriver also and all have lived up to the accuracy claim. The latest is a 338-06 Jackson Hunter and have yet to build some loads for it, but will get busy with loading this winter and try them out. Want to test them on an Elk or Moose this fall. Not that a .280 AI couldn't do the job, but accurate rifles are a joy to shoot.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:33 AM

This is my first post on LRH, even though I've been a member for some time now. I mostly like to just read threads to see what what most folks are shooting and how they like thier rifles.

I just recieved my first new Cooper (54 Excalibur in 308 win.) put Ferrel rings, bases and installed a Vortex pa 6.5x20 scope on it and just could'nt believe the results. For a 6.5 lb out of the box rifle to shoot this good is insane, especially with factory ammo. Rem match 168 gr, SMKs. I got 2 better than 1/4 moa groups at 100 and shot steel at 400, covered all three shots with my snuff can! I couldn't be happier with this rifle all things considered, and will never sell it.

High end custom gun builders will give you a 1/2 moa garanty but few will do it in a 6.5 lb. gun, and it will cost you a lot more dinero. I love this thing, problem is it out shoots my custom Christensen 280 AI. and it shoots good, better than 1 moa.

I'm afraid this will be my new go to rifle for most everything I hunt. It's a really nice and handy little rig.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 AM
Silver Member

As mentioned, try to find one already built. If I remember correctly my build last year took over 8 months. If you look on Gunbroker you will find stocking dealers. A few weeks after I ordered my rifle I learned about Gunbroker and I could have saved a long wait which forced me to miss a hunting season with my rifle.

Very nice rifle, I am very happy. I did order mine with a 1 1/2 pound trigger, I love a good trigger and my Cooper has one.