Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Controlled Round Feed, worth the time?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 11:15 PM
Bronze Member

Controlled Round Feed, worth the time?

So, I have a good Ruger ss long action at my disposal. I'd like to get into the game, maybe build a 300WM or something in that neighborhood to use for hunting and target shooting to 1000. I notice that there is very little talk of CRF style actions on the forum, and even fewer on the classified section. So, is it worth my time and money to put together a gun on this action or should I look toward a Remington or Savage action to build off of?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:38 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Controlled Round Feed, worth the time?

You don't see much talk on here about CRF rifles because this is mainly a long range hunting discussion board. In general, CRF rifles are not commonly used amongst the long range hunting/shooting clientele.
Your decision to build off the CRF action you have is purely personal, and would depend on what your future aspiration are for hunting. If this particular build will accompany you on a hunt that will involve the need for a CRF rifle, then you answered your own question. I have not seen many rifles that do dual duty as a long range rifle and as a DGR rifle. There are just too many areas to compromise to make the build worthy of service in either area...
You mentioned shooting to 1000 yds with the same rifle.
I would suggest building a dedicated long range/target rifle with a different action, and leave the CRF action for short range application.
Just my .02.

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 02-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Bronze Member

thanks for the heads up. what are the compromises involved? I've read about the extractor causing tension on the case as being a negative thing, as well as the case head not being surrounded by the head of the bolt. I do already have a DGR in a 375 Ruger, so this would be more of a caribou, bear, moose rifle with long range target on the side. So, what you're saying is I should search out a savage or Remington 700 to build up on on? I'm just trying to get a feel for all this long range stuff and why some things are better than others.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86alaskan View Post
So, I have a good Ruger ss long action at my disposal. I'd like to get into the game, maybe build a 300WM or something in that neighborhood to use for hunting and target shooting to 1000. I notice that there is very little talk of CRF style actions on the forum, and even fewer on the classified section. So, is it worth my time and money to put together a gun on this action or should I look toward a Remington or Savage action to build off of?
If that is what it has already there's absolutely no reason to change it unless you plan on redoing it in a caliber that is so long it has to be loaded single instead of from the magazine.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Gold Member

Agree with no reason to change. Other than singe feeding I would like to know what the disadvantages are? We seem to dream up minuscule excuses. Yes there are more options/parts available for a Remmy but that's all. It's preference. I just said that and don't even like Rugers.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:53 AM
Gold Member

I am with Wildrose and dig on this. I would add that there is a lot of Kool-Aid drinking on the part of Remington and Savage. To be sure, both rifles are capable of very good accuracy. However, they are not the only rifles with such capabilities. IMO, barrel quality and good machine work have far more effect on accuracy than action type or brand.

When it comes to your rifle build, another critical aspect is to choose your gunsmith with care. Don't take your Ruger to a smith who specializes in Remington builds. There are certain aspects to getting the most from a Ruger that are different than other rifles. If your smith does not understand that, you will likely end up dissatisfied with the final product.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Gold Member

The cool-aid drinkers rule the roost a lot on lr forums and at lots of shops. Since you already have a 3 and six bits Ruger you don't need a bear rifle. And if your action has a magnum bolt face I myself would go with the good old 7 mm Rem Mag. With a quick twist barrel it will give you the option of grabbing abox of factory loads if necessary. A 30 cal won't kill any better than a 7 with an accurate shot and the 7 recoils a little less.
If you want the max u can get from that action with minimum machine work for target and hunting and you reload look at the 338/375 Ruger wildcat