Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Common Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2005, 10:38 AM

Re: Common Question

Kirby, my apolgy was sincere. The issue was that you or anyone else did not need to test the bullets. We agreed to disagree on that issue.

But, you keep on saying how high the BC is?!

Second, my thoughts on the .257 wby for Paulinus were the same as yours initially.
Paulinus stated that he's a "factory guy".

Also, please do not twist what I said about Richard not caring about BC. Even YOU said that Richard doesn't care about BC.

Obviously he wants a high BC. He just "doesn't care" what the exact number is as long as its high.

Lastly, I'm going to have Richard's bullets tested and report the results. I have nothing but respect for Richard.
My apology was sincere, to you and all the other members, and I'm not harboring any ill will towards and of the other members.

I agreed to stop arguing about whether testing is required. So if its not then how can you continue to make unproved claims?

I find you to be the one who is insincere.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:57 AM

The exchange of view has been, well, informative. Thanks, everyone. All of you have about convienced me to begin handloading, which I did years ago as a youth.

Kirby: No apology necessary. I just keep learning. This better than hanging out at the local gun shop. I figure that at 57 I have several good hunting years remaining and want to try some new things. Most, if not all, the hunting I do could be done with a 308 Win. or a 12 guage pump, but now's the time to have a bit more fun.

Lerch: I hunt mostly in the north central Kansas counties along the Nebraska border. The whitetail are thin skined, but the mule deer can be a bit tougher.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:33 AM
SPONSOR

Well I bet you have some good sized deer up there, ours average around 150-175lbs field dressed. You might try that 110gr Accubond, I bet you can throw it pretty fast and if its is as tough of a bullet as people say I bet it will deliver a pretty stiff punch to whitetail or mule deer.

If you want the ultimate in long range, high bc, heavyweight knockdown power in a 257 I would go with Richards 130gr wildcat. I will tell you how it does in mine when I get some in.

Take it easy
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 07-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Paulinus

Couple of words of advice on Wby family.

Your gun should shoot five shot groups under an inch if you are capable. These should be carefully spaced to avoid a hot barrel. If it won't do that then have it bedded (even if it will do that have it bedded).

Secondly, it has a large case capacity and will burn a lot of powder. Get a long, high quality, one piece, steel, cleaning rod and a 0.264 PLASTIC bristle brush - yes I said 264 and PLASTIC bristle. Use this as the "clean barrel guage" as follows: After you finish your normal cleaning, put on the plastic brush and run it through the barrel all the way and very gently bring it back down the barrel toward the chamber. If it begins to screech and grind and bind as it nears the throat and you have to call Triple A to send a tow truck to pull it on through, then the barrel is NOT clean. If the barrel is not clean then the gun will not shoot well and pressures will go up. At this point try both copper and powder solvents to determine which it is in your throat. Five dollars says it will be powder (carbon) and you have my sympathy.

I have had good results with many different shapes and sizes of bullets with Wbys but there is about 0.375 inches of freebore in there and you will not be able to get most bullets to the lands. Nolser Accubonds have very long bearing surfaces and seem to slide down the freebore fairly well and engage the rifling straight on. The really heavy Wildcat bullets will probabaly get you close to the lands and maybe into them.

Last word of advice. Bullet come out of that barrel really fast so make sure your bullets have heavy construction so they don't splatter on close in shots and then at long range if your need to break bones to get into the chest cavity the toughness will be there to do it.

Hunting should be a fun and enjoyable expereince and I think you will really enjoy the 257 Wby.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Silver Member

We are all big boys, and able to accept a point of view that differs from our own. With that in mind:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not questioning the overall ability of the 257 caliber. I just don't think the 257 wby is anywhere near the best choice for western deer hunting to 600 yards using an off-the-shelf rifle and ammo. John M

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this evaluation, at the risk of offending the original poster, or anybody else. The fact that it may "work" is beside the point that there are a number of more worthy choices available.

Good hunting. LB
Old 07-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

if you're shooting a weatherby, you will pay for all of the reloading supplies in cost difference very quickly. I think you made a good choice in buying a rifle you want over a rifle that someone else wanted you to buy.
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 07-29-2005, 08:45 AM

BuffaloBob:

Thanks for the advice. I will pick up a .264 plastic brush. This is why forums are great sources of information.