Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Close to a decision on the rifle rest need more help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2002, 04:40 PM
Silver Member

Close to a decision on the rifle rest need more help!

Thanks Guys for all the help.

I am new to shooting off of one of these type rests. I use bipods or a sandbag most of the time. My question is this: Since the front of the stock differs in width from rifle to rifle, is there a front rifle rest that can adjust to the stock width? I would like to use the front rest for a hunting rifle (sight in), as well as a varmint, or bench rig? Is there a clamp like adjustment to allow for the different widths of the stock? Sorry for the lack of knowledge. I was leaning toward the one of the Bald Eagle Windage rests.

Thanks again for all the help.
Frank D
Old 08-23-2002, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: Close to a decision on the rifle rest need more help!

Evening Sir,

Keep leaning towards the Bald Eagle. IMHO its the best going... Anyhow, what I do with mine (& I have the windage top on mine) is I just use the applicable size bag on the rest plate. For my sporter stocked rifles, I use the narrow 1.5 - 2.0" bag. I have a 2.5 - 3.0" bag for the wide stocked rifles (which I don't currently have). I have not looked in Bald Eagles line, but I do know sinclairs & hart make an adjustable top to do what you desire. I have used that style and did not like it, I found it far easier to change the bag than to adjust the top plate to the stock..

With the bald Eagle, you get one bag w/purchase and for another 20 or so $ you can buy another bag for the other size stocks..

I bought my rest from Bill Krazinski at Allied Shooters Accessories and here is the web address. http://benchrest.com/asa/
Awesome customer service and great price, give him a look...

Rod

Member #92
Old 08-23-2002, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Close to a decision on the rifle rest need more help!

I use the Sinclair rest with the adjustable top. One bag fits all of my rifles and it only takes a few seconds with the allen wrench to adjust from one size to the next.