Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Cleaning routine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Cleaning routine

I started using Yamaha ring free to remove the carbon last yr. I read that some benchrest guys had been using the mercury carbon cleaner. (this is run in 2strokes to help reduce emissions/carbon build up) I picked the ring free because I have a case on hand for our boat.
I dunk a patch run it in the bore let it soak acouple mins run a brush a few times(bronze in the hunting guns and nylon in my varmint/target guns) I shoot mollied bullets and the first dry patch is usually black I run another continue this until the first dry patch is clean
I then run a hoppes #9 patch for storage. I will dry patch before leaving for the next shooting session/hunt.
Comes back in with one or 2 fowlers for all my guns.
During my break in I have used the necco or tubb firelapping kits with only the 2 finest grits. All but one are factory barrels right now and all don't copper much if at all since I started doing this.
I have the good guns borescoped every now and again by my dealer/smith and this works very well for me so far.
I wish I knew about this when I shot alot because it is quick and the most effective method I have used
If I have green/blue showing I use either wipe out or the Outers bore foam. Most of the time the ringfree/brushing removes it so I don't use the foam very much at all.
I ruined 2 barrels one with a bore paste and another with a copper solvent. so I have tried alot of different things to prevent that from happening again
Old 12-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubettcha13 View Post
I started using Yamaha ring free to remove the carbon last yr. I read that some benchrest guys had been using the mercury carbon cleaner. (this is run in 2strokes to help reduce emissions/carbon build up) I picked the ring free because I have a case on hand for our boat.
I dunk a patch run it in the bore let it soak acouple mins run a brush a few times(bronze in the hunting guns and nylon in my varmint/target guns) I shoot mollied bullets and the first dry patch is usually black I run another continue this until the first dry patch is clean
I then run a hoppes #9 patch for storage. I will dry patch before leaving for the next shooting session/hunt.
Comes back in with one or 2 fowlers for all my guns.
During my break in I have used the necco or tubb firelapping kits with only the 2 finest grits. All but one are factory barrels right now and all don't copper much if at all since I started doing this.
I have the good guns borescoped every now and again by my dealer/smith and this works very well for me so far.
I wish I knew about this when I shot alot because it is quick and the most effective method I have used
If I have green/blue showing I use either wipe out or the Outers bore foam. Most of the time the ringfree/brushing removes it so I don't use the foam very much at all.
I ruined 2 barrels one with a bore paste and another with a copper solvent. so I have tried alot of different things to prevent that from happening again

How did you ruin the barrel? Just leave it in too long?
Old 12-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeballjr View Post
How did you ruin the barrel? Just leave it in too long?
The sweets I left in for a week because I forgot after a family emergency that happened while I was doing my maintenance. That was a 6mm ppc that had less than 250 rds through it. The JB incident was because I didn't have a grasp of what was happening. That was a Harry Pope barreled 222 that my grandfather had given me. The rifle went from a solid .1 rifle to a solid 3/4" rifle in 6 months. I was 19 and had just started working in a gun shop. Some of the good shooters that frequented that shop had told me that I should try it because it was so much quicker better blah-blah-blah. That fortunately was the only rifle I had tried it in. When my grandfather passed I was given the 3 other 222's he had all with the same Harry Pope barrels. They were good but not like the first one I screwed up.
It wasn't the product but the way I applied it/removed it. I was using a multi piece aluminum rod that would bend/ touch the bore. Then instead of removing it with solvent I would just dry patch it not too diligently I might add.
Like they say education cost you time and money. No matter how or where you get it from.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info, i use sweets, and didn't want to mess something up. I just have a factory remington sendero barrel on it, so as long as i get everything out after i clean it i should be okay. Always looking for a better way to do things though. I guess everyone here is or they probably wouldn't be here