close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Cleaning routine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Cleaning routine

I started using Yamaha ring free to remove the carbon last yr. I read that some benchrest guys had been using the mercury carbon cleaner. (this is run in 2strokes to help reduce emissions/carbon build up) I picked the ring free because I have a case on hand for our boat.
I dunk a patch run it in the bore let it soak acouple mins run a brush a few times(bronze in the hunting guns and nylon in my varmint/target guns) I shoot mollied bullets and the first dry patch is usually black I run another continue this until the first dry patch is clean
I then run a hoppes #9 patch for storage. I will dry patch before leaving for the next shooting session/hunt.
Comes back in with one or 2 fowlers for all my guns.
During my break in I have used the necco or tubb firelapping kits with only the 2 finest grits. All but one are factory barrels right now and all don't copper much if at all since I started doing this.
I have the good guns borescoped every now and again by my dealer/smith and this works very well for me so far.
I wish I knew about this when I shot alot because it is quick and the most effective method I have used
If I have green/blue showing I use either wipe out or the Outers bore foam. Most of the time the ringfree/brushing removes it so I don't use the foam very much at all.
I ruined 2 barrels one with a bore paste and another with a copper solvent. so I have tried alot of different things to prevent that from happening again

Unread 12-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubettcha13 View Post
I started using Yamaha ring free to remove the carbon last yr. I read that some benchrest guys had been using the mercury carbon cleaner. (this is run in 2strokes to help reduce emissions/carbon build up) I picked the ring free because I have a case on hand for our boat.
I dunk a patch run it in the bore let it soak acouple mins run a brush a few times(bronze in the hunting guns and nylon in my varmint/target guns) I shoot mollied bullets and the first dry patch is usually black I run another continue this until the first dry patch is clean
I then run a hoppes #9 patch for storage. I will dry patch before leaving for the next shooting session/hunt.
Comes back in with one or 2 fowlers for all my guns.
During my break in I have used the necco or tubb firelapping kits with only the 2 finest grits. All but one are factory barrels right now and all don't copper much if at all since I started doing this.
I have the good guns borescoped every now and again by my dealer/smith and this works very well for me so far.
I wish I knew about this when I shot alot because it is quick and the most effective method I have used
If I have green/blue showing I use either wipe out or the Outers bore foam. Most of the time the ringfree/brushing removes it so I don't use the foam very much at all.
I ruined 2 barrels one with a bore paste and another with a copper solvent. so I have tried alot of different things to prevent that from happening again

How did you ruin the barrel? Just leave it in too long?
Unread 12-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeballjr View Post
How did you ruin the barrel? Just leave it in too long?
The sweets I left in for a week because I forgot after a family emergency that happened while I was doing my maintenance. That was a 6mm ppc that had less than 250 rds through it. The JB incident was because I didn't have a grasp of what was happening. That was a Harry Pope barreled 222 that my grandfather had given me. The rifle went from a solid .1 rifle to a solid 3/4" rifle in 6 months. I was 19 and had just started working in a gun shop. Some of the good shooters that frequented that shop had told me that I should try it because it was so much quicker better blah-blah-blah. That fortunately was the only rifle I had tried it in. When my grandfather passed I was given the 3 other 222's he had all with the same Harry Pope barrels. They were good but not like the first one I screwed up.
It wasn't the product but the way I applied it/removed it. I was using a multi piece aluminum rod that would bend/ touch the bore. Then instead of removing it with solvent I would just dry patch it not too diligently I might add.
Like they say education cost you time and money. No matter how or where you get it from.
Unread 12-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info, i use sweets, and didn't want to mess something up. I just have a factory remington sendero barrel on it, so as long as i get everything out after i clean it i should be okay. Always looking for a better way to do things though. I guess everyone here is or they probably wouldn't be here
Unread 09-28-2015, 12:38 PM
Silver Member

I realize this is an older post but some people including myself search older posts for answers.

I never really understood why you would use a bore guide on the chamber end but not on the muzzle crown end. A jag and rod will drag and strike the muzzle crown area hundreds if not thousands of times cleaning during the life of a barrel. I created a simple bore guide for the muzzle crown end and it works really well. We have numerous sizes. There are some good videos on the site too which demonstrate the issue and how the Crown Cradle works. Hope this helps and maybe is seen as a solution or least as extra insurance/precaution for the precision marksman.

Home / Crown Cradle - Baby Your Precision Rifle Barrel Crown
Attached Images