Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

cleaning question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2006, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member

cleaning question?

I noticed today when i was finished breaking in my dads tikka in 7 mag, and when I was cleaning my remington .270 last night, that even after using sweets and a nylon brush, that I still have something in my barrel. I can see it at the muzzle with a flashlight. It looks to be on the rifling or in the grooves and appears to be a goldish color. Would that be copper fouling, or jacket fouling or what? Anybody know what it is or how to get it completely out? I dont really like the idea of cleaning a rifle and then to see it has a streak of goldish color in it, I just dont like it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:37 AM
Gold Member

Re: cleaning question?

Might need to use a bronze brush a little bit with your Sweets.I know they dont last long with Sweets. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I just got my first Hawkeye bore scope earlier this week,already feel its one of the best invesments Ive made.I looked at a new match barrel I just recieved,wont say brand,but needless to say its going back because of the excessive tool markings in it.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:42 AM
Platinum Member

I will try a bronze brush next then I guess. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:36 AM
Gold Member

Some JB Bore paste should do the trick.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

What you are seeing is referred to as copper wash. It normally has no detrimental effect on accuracy and doesn't pay to clean it out either. If you cleaned your rifle every time to the point that the copper wash was eliminated you would probably wear the bore out by cleaning rather than shooting. You would also put that copper right back in with the first few shots anyway.

If you completely stip the bore clean you will likely have to fire a few more shots, than you normally do, to foul the bore before it shoots consistently again. Many shooters only clean enough to return accuracy.

I have seen this wash in several of my custom barrels. It is likely happening in areas of the bore which are not easily seen too.

If you are really intent on removing all traces of copper you may need to alternate between JB Paste and Sweets. This usually will remove stubborn copper, carbon and anything else that resists normal cleaning methods.

I have also had pretty good results with "Wipe Out" foam cleaner which requires little to no brushing.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Silver Member

...have noticed the same in my pistol... use the "wipeout" as mentioned, overnight soak will get the copper wash out...
Old 03-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member

http://www.6mmbr.com/jbwipeout.html

WO will take care of it...with no smell [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

JB