Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Bronze Member

Cleaning

How do you clean your rifle bore?
What brake in procedure do you use?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:07 AM
Gold Member

Re: Cleaning

Cleaning Procedure

I'll start by a dry patch down the barrel, and a dry patch in the chamber to get all the oil out I applied after the last cleaning.

Then I'll shoot the rifle.

Then...

I use a carbon/powder residue solvent and a bronze brush first, (run all brushes and patches from chamber to muzzle.) I run about 10 swipes, then run a dry patch.

Then I apply a copper solvent with a nylon brush, I'll apply a newly solvent soaked brush 5 times on my 22 inch barrel. I'll let that sit for 5 minutes then run a dry patch through.
I'll examine the patch and muzzle, if the patch is dark blue and bore shows more signs of copper, I'll repeat the copper cleaning until the patch comes out light blue and/or I see no copper in the bore.

Then I'll repeat the cleaning procedure for carbon/powder residue until the patch comes out clean. I also use a chamber brush to get any carbon or what have i in the chamber during this phase.

I'll run a bronze brush of oil then dry patch, then an oil soaked patch. I'll run a oil filled cloth in the chamber... making sure the barrel and chamber are not going to rust.

I usually take one or two shots a day, cleaning my bore for carbon/powder residue only; after 10 shots I'll then clean for copper also.

Break-in Procedure

Here is what I did when I broke-in my new Howa during load development, (had 20 ladder test cartridges.)

I cleaned the bore thoroughly as above.

Shot one shot.
Cleaned as above, (most of my focus was on making sure there was no copper.)
Adjusted my scope, (I was bore sighting too.)
Took another shot.
Cleaned as above, (most of my focus was on making sure there was no copper.)

I repeated that procedure; (shot then cleaned,) for 20 shots, (as to not skew my ladder test.)

If I was just shooting factory ammo and simply sighting the scope, I would have shot 1-5 cleaning after each shot. Shooting shots 6-11 cleaning every other shot. Then finishing with shots 12-20 cleaning every third shot.
I just wanted to point out that you can still do other things during the break-in period. I came away with a zeroed scope, a few charge weights to test, and a bore that copper fouled a lot less than it had been.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 05-12-2011, 06:48 PM

The advice above is very accurate and proven. If you need any more help would be glad to help. I think that "most" people never completely clean their rifle bores. Simply running a brush and a couple patches through it is no where near enough effort. If you want to try an aerosal foam cleaner I would reccommend Wipe-Out. The test to see how well the bore has been cleaned is to foam it up after you think all the carbon and copper is out. My guess is that you will be surprised at how much "more" the foam finds.

Travis Kamps
(406) 580-9700
Travis.Kamps@gmail.com
Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 AM
Silver Member

+1 For Wipe-Out.. I love the stuff, might start brushing my teeth with it...
Old 06-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Gold Member

I am a huge fan of KG products. Leader in Metal Protective Coatings | Protective Coatings & More | KG Coatings

Especially the bore polish. Also Use a bore guide and a carbon fiber rod. It wont flex and mar the bore. You would be amazed at how clean your action stays using a bore guide.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 06-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoJoe View Post
How do you clean your rifle bore?
What brake in procedure do you use?
My first recommendation would be to use the barrel makers break in procedure and recommended
solvent.

If you do not know the manufactures process, then I would recomend a clean and shoot for
a minimum of 10 shots and then clean and shoot 3 shot groups and clean for 3 or 4 times
and the barrel should be on it's way. If it doesn't clean up easy after this you can continue to
shoot 3 and clean until it cleans up easily.

Use no abrasives, just let the bullet do the work and you will get many years of use out of it.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

I dahoe- remington 700 sendero?