Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Chrony Chronographs...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Bronze Member

Chrony Chronographs...

Hello,

Midway has the F1 standard on sale for $69.99 and I was thinking of getting one.
Has anyone use this model and brand? comments please.

Thank you for your time.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: Chrony Chronographs...

I have and currently am using that brand but I am preparing to upgrade. The masses will agree here (I think) that they are by far not the best around. Look under oehler chronographs and rsi shooting lab I believe in bullets barrels and balistics and you will find some opinions of the shooting chronys as well as oehlers. The RSI is said to be as accurate as the oehler for a little less cha ching! There is nothing wrong with the shooting chrony I have and proves to be right on track with shooting chronys around home but it hasn't been tested beside an oehler or RSI (yet). If you decide to buy it it's a good product and will give you some insight to your reloading but don't be surprised when you list a velocity here and someone asks what kind of chrony you used and then says that seems a bit high when you tell them the brand. Here is my honest opinion save a little more cash and buy either the oehler model 35 with or without the printer or the RSI millenium and don't look back!
Old 05-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Gold Member

7rumloaders comments are right on.
The 35 is nice, has the longer skyscreen spacing, in is just all around a better chronograph. Its also $184 compared to $70. I will say, that the 35 at 184 is a better deal than the chrony at $50.
Theres lots of issues with the chrony, simply due to its design, and its 12" skyscreen spacing.
If you ar still thinking about buying the shooting chrony, go read this, and save your money...
http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21080
Old 05-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

Had the RSI but now have the Chrony F1. The RSI had a lot more features but was a bit of a pain to set up. The F1 is simple, it does what I need that is to give a Fps reading to show if load development is going right or not, the F1 goes with me more often than the RSI used to because the F1 is so compact (downside s shorter distance between sensors). No doubt it is not as accurate as the others but and has none of the other features but it does enough for me.

David.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

Good info!
[ QUOTE ]
has the longer skyscreen spacing, in is just all around a better chronograph. Its also $184 compared to $70. I will say, that the 35 at 184 is a better deal than the chrony at $50.
Theres lots of issues with the chrony, simply due to its design, and its 12" skyscreen spacing.
go read this, and save your money...
http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21080

[/ QUOTE ]

The gist of that thread is exactly what trivial math/electronics theory would conclude, all the error comes from spacing.
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="brown"> For a 12" screen spacing and 3000 f/s muzzle velocity, the maximum error would be roughly 0.2"/12"* 3000f/s = 50 f/s. .... For a 24 foot screen spacing (288") the maximum error would be about 0.2"/288"*3000 = 2 f/s</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-15-2005, 10:45 AM
daveosok

That is some good info.
I can see where 50 fps versus 2fs would come into play, extreme spread. I doubt that it is consistantly 50fps dead nuts every time. So you have 50 fps versus 2 fps, I will take the 2fps anyday.
Good info and thanks for it. I borrowed a 35p and it was the cats meow, been saving for one things just keep showing up where I cant spend it lol. I found the 35p with printer for $315.00 which is really a good price. Have any of you seen it for less anywhere?
Dave
Old 05-16-2005, 06:29 PM

I have Chrony and I like it just fine. It depends on what you are after - in my case, I bought one to determine load consistency for my varmit rifles and especially for black powder cartridge rifle loads (shooting for and getting single digit ESD's). I'll probably upgrade to a Oehler at some point, but no rush.