Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

chosing the best platform to start with.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 03:25 PM

chosing the best platform to start with.

Hi all. Im new to this forum and to long and medium range shooting. Wanting to take my first step into medium 400-600 yrd shooting. I have several guns and calibers in mind..

I currently own a Savage 116 fss in 270 Winchester 23in fluted barrel with factory muzzle brake and a FNAR in 308 with 20 in barrel.. I am presently entertaining 2 rifles and 2 different calibers. First is a Savage:

Savage Arms

Second is a Remington Sendero SF II

CALIBER choices are either 7mm win mag or 300win mag.
If I go with the savage it will more than likely be a 300wsm due to the fact that the Bell Carson stock I would buy for the Savage only comes in short action only..

I do intend to reload.. I use the 270 for all my hunting so I am looking to build something to punch paper but still give me something to stop BIG Aliens and zombies..

Any help is appreciated!!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: chosing the best platform to start with.

What model savage? Copy and paste doesn't work from savages gun finder! It will work if you do a google search for the particular model!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 12-12-2012, 04:01 PM

Savage Arms

Savage 116 bear hunter
Old 12-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

The Sendero is hard to say no to for a great starter platform.

Float it, bed it, and you are off to the races. Pretty much every Sendero I've seen will shoot sub MOA with good factory ammo after doing the above and putting decent glass on it.

I own two of them and both fit that model quite well.

The .300wm is a great choice as well.

As for the stock, the HS precision Sendero stock is a great stock and saves you having to spend extra for a custom stock unless you just want to do something special to customize your rig.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 PM

I like the look of the Sendero and the long barrel is a draw but the only thing I know about a Remington is what I have read.. I have the Savage in 270, but didnt know id the 26in barrel of the Sendero makes it a better option then the 23in Savage barrel with muzzle brake. The factory brake plus the accuracy of my current Savage sways me toward Savage..

Cost between the two will be initially the same as the Savage has a standard camo stock which will have to be replaced.. hate camo!!!!!

The Remington has no brake so that would have to be added..

The biggest thing is which has the most potiential with minimal modifications.. I would like to stay under $2500 with gun, scope, bedding, brake or stock based on which one I choose..

Am I over looking anything else?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member

Hey Norm,
Check out Savages 11/111 LRH rifles. JohnnyK.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

Unless you just want to add to your arsenal, the rifles you have are capable of shooting at your range goal. Depending on the range and size of them aliens and zombies, with proper handloads, it you might be able to neutralize them.

For instance, with Matrix VLDs in 165/175 grain and the Berger 170 grain (soon to be available) bullets, it takes the .277 cals to a new level. If you do a search, there are plenty of threads to drool on. There's also a nice article on .270 Win on the article section worth reading.

At $2500 rifle only budget, it gives you a lot of flexibility and you're within reach of a custom built price range.

Below is my semi-custom build for your comparison only, there are others who have done similar projects.

My budget .270 AI ...

IMHO, as far as best platform, it boils down to preference. The Remington 700 is probably the most cloned action and the Savage actions are preferred by most DIYers ... hopefully, others will chime in.

Good luck and welcome to LRH.

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.