Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Cheek Weld

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Cheek Weld

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstilt View Post
I just finished working on a Savage 243 I want to use to shoot paper, coyotes and varmints with. Got it home, bedded it and mounted a Nikon scope on a 20MOA base. Do I need a 20moa base? Not really, but if I can get better at distance shooting it could be nice to have.

Now my problem. With the not great synthetic stock that came on the rifle and the elevated base, I can't get a cheek weld worth a darn. I was using my laser bore sighter and could tell that no way in heck could I be consistent. Any suggestions on what to do? So far I've found a few things but wanted advice from the gurus on here.

Things I've found:
Beartooth Comb Raising Kit : Cabela's

Cabela's -- Accu-Riser Cheek Pad - Strap-on

Thanks,
Chris
You'd be better off getting a better stock first. You'll loose more accuracy with the flexy stock than poor cheek weld.

Another good cheek weld device would be an Eagle Stock Pack with some cut up mouse pad underneath.