Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Cheap Long range Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 03:57 AM
Gold Member

Re: Cheap Long range Rig

Thanks , I got sick and tired of dealing with arrogant gunsmiths that made you feel like they were doing you a big favour by even looking at your gun.
Years ago I was waiting for a gunsmith to do a job I had asked him to do . 2 years went by and no call . Then one day at the range I spotted him and asked him if he was going to do the job . Fair question after waiting patiently for 2 years !
This arrogant piece of scum said , look you can always take it some place else .
Well that was it he went close to getting a real serving but it was at the range and the coward new that. So from that day on I do my own work and what I can't do I buy a new part or I live without .
The stupid part is the moron did not take into consideration all the reloading stuff and accessories I don't buy from him anymore .
I guess in the long run he did me a favour in a funny kind of way.
It's a good set of horns because they are quite thick and solid at the bases .
In actual fact this set scored a few more points than my wider set that the dogs chewed up because of it being thicker . Lucky for me the dogs didn't know the Douglas point scoring system.
I have seen some big heads come out of New Zealand , they are there some place.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP100 View Post
Hi there
I havnt had any problems with the scope I am just not at that confident with it. I havnt dialed up elevation at all as im not sure it will be repeatable/reliable I just hold over. The clariety isnt great on the higher magnifications(I just use 16X)
Thats my main concern is just the repeatablity of it. I know I should test it and play around abit but Im getting on pretty well with the MilDot.
Have you used one before?? Any info on them would be good as all Ive heard is negative stuff.
Cheers
No, haven't used one before, but I am looking into it.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Gold Member

I have had a few Nikko scopes in my time and the one weakness I have come up against was their ability to take recoil. In the end the old models give up holding zero but newer ones may be better , but I doubt it . I don't know for sure now as I have not bought one in many years . The only one left a Nikko 4 to 12 Platinum has terrific optics but not a well made scope . If you get hold of the objective bell and wiggle it you can see the reticule moving about and it stops in different positions optically. They have thin tubes and are very susceptible to out of centre mounting and getting ring marks.
They are a cheap scope and you get what you pay for so to speak.
I reckon about two years of 308 recoil will pull it up , hope I am wrong but that is what I have experienced on 308 and 30-06 rifles.
On a 223 they work much better .
Old 02-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
I have had a few Nikko scopes in my time and the one weakness I have come up against was their ability to take recoil. In the end the old models give up holding zero but newer ones may be better , but I doubt it . I don't know for sure now as I have not bought one in many years . The only one left a Nikko 4 to 12 Platinum has terrific optics but not a well made scope . If you get hold of the objective bell and wiggle it you can see the reticule moving about and it stops in different positions optically. They have thin tubes and are very susceptible to out of centre mounting and getting ring marks.
They are a cheap scope and you get what you pay for so to speak.
I reckon about two years of 308 recoil will pull it up , hope I am wrong but that is what I have experienced on 308 and 30-06 rifles.
On a 223 they work much better .
Yea I think you are right. They are ok at best. the mechanics of them is pretty shoddy and they they dnt stand up well to abuse. We have used one for years on a .22 and it was fine but we upgraded to a leopold. I dont think that the nikko's would handle tracking and continuly adjusting them.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Gold Member

Even though we can build a cheaper type rifle once you start to shoot beyond a few hundred meters you find you need mid to expensive scopes wether you like it or not . Long range accuracy costs and most of the people in it are either gunsmiths , rich dudes or home tinkerers like you and me , but that scope is the stumbling block for me .
Wish I new an optical engineer that could teach me a bit about how to build and or repair scopes .
Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
Even though we can build a cheaper type rifle once you start to shoot beyond a few hundred meters you find you need mid to expensive scopes wether you like it or not . Long range accuracy costs and most of the people in it are either gunsmiths , rich dudes or home tinkerers like you and me , but that scope is the stumbling block for me .
Wish I new an optical engineer that could teach me a bit about how to build and or repair scopes .
Yea. You cant take short cuts and kinda fix up older scopes to be better like you can with guns. Just gotta keep buying them lotto tickets haha and hoping to one day get a better scope
Old 02-21-2013, 12:13 AM
Gold Member

Lotto ticket is a good description of a scope purchase nowadays . With all the new cheap brands and some of the old favourites being made god knows where . It is very hard to know what to buy in that cheap to mid range scope .
Then there is all the lemons you hear about from top makers to add some more fear to the whole process.
The customer and some companies are being ripped off with fake scopes coming from China .
I don't know why the World trades with China at all we are sending them top quality raw materials and they send back garbage products to overload our land fill !
It has to be hurting the Aussie consumer big time in the long run and destroying established quality manufacturers .