Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out


Reply

Cheap Long range Rig

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 736
Re: Cheap Long range Rig

That sounds good maybe a new barrel is easier to get in NZ .
Mine worked out good . Got a 30-06 barrel and a 243W barrel for it now .
Like you the scope is the big killer for me . The price of a reasonable scope is as much as the gun cost me to build .
I am running an old Leupold 3.5 to 10 at the moment but it does not have a suitable reticule . So that is holding the build up at the moment .
The 243 barrel will shoot sub one inch easy and I have produced several .4 groups so far at 100 meters but average is around .75 at the moment .
It will shoot a 3 to 4 inch inch group at 500 meters when there is no wind and the bullets are good but I thing a more powerful scope can improve on that and I will learn better how to steer it .
I have not been able to knock over any game with it yet but it will be plenty accurate enough if and when I can . It has a solid alloy stock which I made myself but is heavy at 17 lbs. to use from a bi-pod , Can also be used in a lighter Butler creek composite stock if I wanted to stalk with it but I have another gun for that mainly.
I might lighten it a bit more I have not decided where though.
I am saving for a Vortex scope for it but the going is hard as living costs are going up so fast I can't keep up .
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand
Posts: 151
Re: Cheap Long range Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
That sounds good maybe a new barrel is easier to get in NZ .
Mine worked out good . Got a 30-06 barrel and a 243W barrel for it now .
Like you the scope is the big killer for me . The price of a reasonable scope is as much as the gun cost me to build .
I am running an old Leupold 3.5 to 10 at the moment but it does not have a suitable reticule . So that is holding the build up at the moment .
The 243 barrel will shoot sub one inch easy and I have produced several .4 groups so far at 100 meters but average is around .75 at the moment .
It will shoot a 3 to 4 inch inch group at 500 meters when there is no wind and the bullets are good but I thing a more powerful scope can improve on that and I will learn better how to steer it .
I have not been able to knock over any game with it yet but it will be plenty accurate enough if and when I can . It has a solid alloy stock which I made myself but is heavy at 17 lbs. to use from a bi-pod , Can also be used in a lighter Butler creek composite stock if I wanted to stalk with it but I have another gun for that mainly.
I might lighten it a bit more I have not decided where though.
I am saving for a Vortex scope for it but the going is hard as living costs are going up so fast I can't keep up .
Sounds nice. what projectiles are you running??
What are the vortex like? havnt heard much of them at all in NZ. I was thinking of getting a sightron when I get the cash( a 6.5-20x50 Big sky with mildot is $1200)
How would the vortex compare to sightron??
Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 736
Re: Cheap Long range Rig

I am running my own home swaged bullets at the moment . 81 grain flat base 8 calibre Ogive , Moly coated . The jackets were also drawn down from short 6.5 jackets that I got cheap from another bullet maker.
This is what the finished batch looks like . They don't handle wind as well as a heavier better BC bullet but upto 500 meters they do ok.
Not the perfect long range design I know but rebated boat tail bullets are out of my financial reach at the moment as the die sets cost so much and there is other more important things I need .
I am not an expert on scopes so my knowledge is limited to what I can afford to own. However I have done a lot of research and I personally feel that the Vortex Pst scope is a better scope in general to a Sightron and the Vortex Razor much better . I know many will disagree but I based my opinion on research , what others said and inspecting both scopes at my range . I like the mil radian reticule in the Vortex , the zero stop and the optics seemed better to my eyes than the Sightrons I have seen.
The Vortex seems to tick all the boxes I need so thats all I can go on .
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Cheap Long range Rig-sdc12320.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand
Posts: 151
Re: Cheap Long range Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
I am running my own home swaged bullets at the moment . 81 grain flat base 8 calibre Ogive , Moly coated . The jackets were also drawn down from short 6.5 jackets that I got cheap from another bullet maker.
This is what the finished batch looks like . They don't handle wind as well as a heavier better BC bullet but upto 500 meters they do ok.
Not the perfect long range design I know but rebated boat tail bullets are out of my financial reach at the moment as the die sets cost so much and there is other more important things I need .
I am not an expert on scopes so my knowledge is limited to what I can afford to own. However I have done a lot of research and I personally feel that the Vortex Pst scope is a better scope in general to a Sightron and the Vortex Razor much better . I know many will disagree but I based my opinion on research , what others said and inspecting both scopes at my range . I like the mil radian reticule in the Vortex , the zero stop and the optics seemed better to my eyes than the Sightrons I have seen.
The Vortex seems to tick all the boxes I need so thats all I can go on .
Nice looking wee bullets. You should try get in contact with the guy from Targex in NZ. He makes alot of nice projectiles and might have some old gear/good deals for you???? He sells alot of stuff on trade me(15x .243/6mm" TARGEX SAMPLE PACKS | Trade Me) or you can email him at targex10.1@gmail.com.. His names Bryn Ive used his 95gn rebaited boat tails in my .243 and they were really nice.

Thanks for the opnion on Vortex. Ive never really heard of them untill now. will try get hold of some at a shop and have a play with them.
Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 736
Re: Cheap Long range Rig

Thanks for the thought mate. The problem with buying secondhand dies is they have usually lost the critical match between the core seater and the point former and that makes for hard ejecting dies . To the naked eye they look perfect though.
If and when I decide to start making rebated boat tail bullets I will make the dies and punches I need as they are basically an add on to an existing set .
Expensive to buy a whole new set but not so expensive to just make the two modified core seater's and a new rebated point forming punch.
The work is not in the dies themselves it's in making the tooling to cut them and getting it precise . I only like to take on one disaster at a time .
The Vortex scope is hard to come by at the moment as they are very popular .
Postage from NZ might make those bullets a bit expensive . The batch I am using now cost me about $80 for a thousand because the 6.5 jackets were so cheap to start with.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand
Posts: 151
Re: Cheap Long range Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
Thanks for the thought mate. The problem with buying secondhand dies is they have usually lost the critical match between the core seater and the point former and that makes for hard ejecting dies . To the naked eye they look perfect though.
If and when I decide to start making rebated boat tail bullets I will make the dies and punches I need as they are basically an add on to an existing set .
Expensive to buy a whole new set but not so expensive to just make the two modified core seater's and a new rebated point forming punch.
The work is not in the dies themselves it's in making the tooling to cut them and getting it precise . I only like to take on one disaster at a time .
The Vortex scope is hard to come by at the moment as they are very popular .
Postage from NZ might make those bullets a bit expensive . The batch I am using now cost me about $80 for a thousand because the 6.5 jackets were so cheap to start with.
Oh ok. I wouldnt have a clue about making bullets haha.
Yea i havent seen or found a New Zealand dealer that has prices so might be abit hard to get over here.
$80 for 1000!!!!!!! man thats awesome. wish I had bullets that cheap haha. most projectiles for .243-7mm are about 50-70 buks per 100.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-07-2013, 03:06 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 736
Re: Cheap Long range Rig

I only paid $50 per thousand for those short 6.5 mm jackets so add in lead and lubricant and wear and tear and $80 per thousand is about right.
However it was a lot of work to draw down the jackets to .240 and a big risk that they may not shoot very well but luckily they shoot quite ok so far .
Jacket thickness concentricity ( thickness runout) is a big issue for accuracy and you need to keep them as concentric as possible. Less than .0003 variation is good . This is what bullet makers never tell you. If the jackets are bad the bullets don't shoot as well as they should no matter how well you make them .
However perfect jackets can be screwed up by poorly made bullets.
most of the time new J4 jackets are about an average of 220 a thousand to land in Aust add to that lead cores and lubricant , cleaning and washing agents ,
electricity etc and you can make a thousand flat bases for about $250
It is a lot of work to save about $100 to $150 but the end product is very consistant and once you have the gear you can also make core bonded game bullets for little extra cost . The big savings are in finding cheap surplus jackets .
This is my gun I built with the temporary day scope on a ARMS QD 20 MOA mount . It is a multi platform stock and can shoot from a combination of support systems. Bi-pod and rear canterlever Monopod . Bi-pod and Bald Eagle rear rest . Front BR rest and rear monopod. Front BR rest and bald eagle rear rest , Front sand bag and any of the rear rests mentioned or straight on the shoulder . This all achieved by adding and subtracting parts of the stock . Bi-pod is quick detachable and rear monopod is elevation adjustable .
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Cheap Long range Rig-day-scope2.jpg  

Last edited by Bullet bumper; 02-07-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC