Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

changing shooting positions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Bronze Member

changing shooting positions

I read somewhere that if you zero your rifle while sitting at a shooting bench, the POI will change if you shoot it from the prone position. Something about how your eye sees through the scope when your head is at different angles. is there any truth to this? If I'm shooting from the prone position at 400yds and figure out accurate DOPE, then shoot agian at 400yds but this time from the sitting position, is the DOPE I got from the prone going to work?
Old 03-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: changing shooting positions

The only way to find out is to shoot from all of YOUR positions with YOUR rifle and see what happens. That's why I practice all the time from the positions that I shoot from with each rifle. Keep good records and practice your shooting positions so you shoot the same way each time in each position. Practice, practice, and more practice is name of the game! Have fun!
Old 03-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Changing anything in your firing sequence can have the ability to change your POI or open your groups. Moving from one postion to another can alter your sight picture, hold/grip, body position, point of contact with the ground, blah-blah-blah...The key is to properly fit your rifle/sight to you.
I usually only use a bench for testing a loads accuracy potential. Then get my dope from a prone bipod supported position because that's how I do most of my LR shooting. Then I shoot from alternate positions to check for any differences.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

One thing that helped me to maintain a consistent cheek weld was installing a cheek piece on the comb of my stock. It originally was flat. Adding a cheek rest has helped to maintain consistent eye alignment whether lying down or sitting at the bench.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
One thing that helped me to maintain a consistent cheek weld was installing a cheek piece on the comb of my stock. It originally was flat. Adding a cheek rest has helped to maintain consistent eye alignment whether lying down or sitting at the bench.

Tank
+1, good advice.