Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Change in horizontal zero when dialing in??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Gold Member

Re: Change in horizontal zero when dialing in??

Dan,

I had a similar problem though not as pronounced with one of my rifles a few months back. My groups were slowly creeping to right as the range increased, but did not move far enough to be a problem until over 500yds.

As it turned out my scope was slightly canted, although I would have sworn it was straight.

I placed a carpenters string level on the scope rail underneath the scope, and leveled the rifle. Then I hung a plum-bob at 100 yards. Wonder of wonders, my vertical crosshair was slightly out of alingment with the string on my plum-bob.

I also added a B-Square scope level to my rail (which I had to shim to get level)

Now my rifle is level, my vertical crosshair is plumb and my groups no longer drift to the right as range increases [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

It worked for me, so hope this helps.