Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Case neck turner options? Please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Case neck turner options? Please help

I like the K&M turner with carbide donut mandrel. cost is about $80 also buy his expanding mandrel to match the cutter ($15). Accurate to .00002 inch. (717) 292-3175. Ken Markle will ship with receipt in box so you just send money in when you get it.

use black and decker 3.6 volt power screw driver with versa pack batteries $20 and sinclair internatinal power screw driver case holder heads ($44 for 3 set for all calibers) for turning at 180 rpm. Makes slick clean wobble free cuts. www.sinclairintl.com

by holland neck micrometer for $65 from www.hollandguns.com

use fp10 or the imperial size wax ken will send you to lube necks.

must size necks first, then expand with matching mandrell. use old brass to practice.

YOu can find more expensive but none better or easier.

Good luck

BH

[ 02-27-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]
Old 02-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Silver Member

K&M is the way to go. I have them in 17 cal, 22 cal and 6mm. Going to get 6.5 next.

Great products and great to deal with.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Well I called Ken and got the turner on the way. Got it for 7mm for my STW, .257 for my .257 Weatherby, and .243 for my .243 Win.

Talked with him for a bit and was blown away by his knowledge. This turner sounds top notch no doubt about it. I am suprised by his trust. There is no way I would send product out of my company without some money up front. One thing about it though he will get my money!! Funny thing was he hadnt heard of the Barnes TSX so I filled him in LOL. He's sending me one of their catalogs as well. Now I just have to get this RCBS stuff returned.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:43 AM
Silver Member

Case neck turner options? Please help

Well I bought a case neck turner from RCBS that goes onto thier case trimmer. I guess mine must be a different model or something but it doesn't fit. So now I have to return this one and find the next best thing. I liked how the RCBS would do the inside and the outside at the same time though. SO what is a good turner to get and if you could, where is a good place to get one from? Link? Not many options to find one here in Wyoming.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:00 AM
Platinum Member

BH,
Accurate to .00002 inch. You mean .0002" I think?

I've been able to adjust mine to .0001" between the marks with ease, and I can honsetly say it will keep within .00005" or so, and that's astonishing to me! Is that accuracy needed? I get less than .001" runout out on the bullet, almost less than .0005" really, and neck tension is very consistant, so it ain't hurtin!

I really like the K&M. The expandiron die w/mandrel, and carbide fluted reamer mandrel is also the way to go.

Sako, get the K&M!
Old 02-28-2004, 05:24 AM

Aggree with all about the K&M neck turner, It is very easy to use, very consistant and relatively cheap. Buy the expanderiron at the same time as you need it give the correct sized neck on the cutter mandrell. Have used it in 224, 257 and 30 cal with excellent results.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:04 AM
Silver Member

I now use a lathe from my shop to lathe turn all my neck but for small quantity K&M is nice , new Sinclair NT2000 is easier to set up

use carbide mandrel and carefully check expander diameter to match to mandrel to avoid to turn "popatos neck "

use two step on for rought turning ( you can make that with your RCBS ) and final thickness with K&M

good shooting

DAN TEC