Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Caliber selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Silver Member

Well all the advice I seem to be getting so far is go for the elk rifle. I am almost talked into it. Is the 338 winchester mag enough for a 1000 yard elk shot, or do I need something with more powder? I am in unfamiliar territory now so I will probably get the cal. most recommended , so lets hear what you suggest and maybe a reason or two why. I have been invited for my first elk hunt with my wife's side of the family next season, and I would like to have my rifle, long range gear, and reloading all set up by then. Thanks again for all your advice.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:25 AM
Bronze Member

KS270, Knowbody on here would say a 7mm wouldn't take an elk with a good shot.

Last edited by WyomingShooter; 12-24-2007 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Poor Taste, Got the cold beer LTLR sent and chilled out.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Silver Member

Sorry guys, the more I read the more questions come up. Still trying to pick a rifle base to start. I don't want to rush this and end up with something that I will end up regretting later, but I do need to get going to have everything ready for this next elk season. I just read a post where one guy has a savage 300 wsm and has a 338-300 ultra mag barrel. He uses the 300 wsm for practice and screws on the 338-300 ultra for the long range stuff. He says the 338-300 ultra empty case will eject from the action but the rifle is a single shot since it is a short action. This sounds kinda like the best of both worlds. What are the thoughts on this route. Practice with the 300wsm to save the barrel on the 338-300 ultra.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Calm down WyomingShooter,

Straightshooter get the 338 win mag and spend a few years enjoying it and learning how to shoot it well at elk within your accomplished range. No offense meant, but in my opinion you are not ready to even consider 1000 yard hunting. But after a few years with the 338 win mag you will be. Then you have the action to send to Shawn and get the edge. Will the 338 win mag take an elk out at a 1000 yards, yes. I have used it in a pinch to take a larger animal further than that. But when your ready for a 1000 yards just upgrade to a little more velocity. I wouldn't do the two barrel thing. Just get to know your first gun very well and when you feel your ready then upgrade and learn that one as well.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
Calm down WyomingShooter,

Straightshooter get the 338 win mag and spend a few years enjoying it and learning how to shoot it well at elk within your accomplished range. No offense meant, but in my opinion you are not ready to even consider 1000 yard hunting. But after a few years with the 338 win mag you will be. Then you have the action to send to Shawn and get the edge. Will the 338 win mag take an elk out at a 1000 yards, yes. I have used it in a pinch to take a larger animal further than that. But when your ready for a 1000 yards just upgrade to a little more velocity. I wouldn't do the two barrel thing. Just get to know your first gun very well and when you feel your ready then upgrade and learn that one as well.
That seems to be good advise. I am looking at the same basic idea, but with a used 338RUM & using the new 250Acc. if possible. One could stay with that set up a good while I bet.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

I would say forever as far as big game went. You could do whatever you wanted with that gun. The way I look at it, I had much rather shoot a deer with an elk rifle, than an elk with a deer rifle.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:16 AM
Silver Member

Long time long ranger, just to clarify, I agree with you, I am not ready for 1000 yard hunting. I do not have all the equipment, no training, don't know didly about wind effect past 300 yards, don't shoot much prone with a bipod, never shot any caliber over a 300 winchester mag., never developed a drop chart, have never reloaded any caliber larger than a 300 wm, very little experience dialing a scope for drop or wind, etc. etc. I don't expect to go out 1000 yard hunting anything. Don't know if I will ever get the chance at a shot like that, but if 1000 yard shots are attainable for me, I would like to have adequate equipment for the job, and the experience on this equipment so I am not trying an impossible shot with an unfamiliar caliber. I want to give this a fair shake and see where it takes me. I am not the competitive type, I don't need a pretty, top of the line, biggest caliber rifle. I am just interested in extending my effective range to the maximum limit and see where I end up. I am relying on you all to help nudge me along the right track to get there making the fewest mistakes possible. The first step I want to take is a rifle to get going on. In the end I figure the whole rifle will be replaced except the action. So that is where I think I need to start. I need you to tell me what action is best to build a great 1000 yard elk rig on. I do like the sounds of a savage since it seems to be quite accurate right out of the box as well as being the easiest and cheapest to work with. I need help with getting a caliber that has the right bolt head and action length that is practical to learn on. I have a vote for a 338-300 ultra, a 338 ultra mag, a 300 wsm, and now one for a 338 winchester mag. Confused? Yes!

Last edited by straightshooter; 12-25-2007 at 03:21 AM.