Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Caliber questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Caliber questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by subjb View Post
Oh yeah that leads up to another question. For anyone that might be able to answer it. Are weatherby's inherently less accurate due to the freebore? Is that just the Mark V action or is it the caliber? I know the Vanguards get some pretty good accuracy with the weatherby calibers. I do like the .300 weatherby, just not my ultralight.
I have owned tons of weatherby's, if your rifle is not shooting well you need to try a different bullet or clean the heck out of it with bore tech eliminator. I will add I have owned two ultra light weights and I am not a fan of them, especially in 300 wby. They can shoot good, but you need to wait 15 or 20 minutes between shots. That thin barrel with a magnum cartridge heats up fast. Most of mine would shoot good for the first shot then send one flier.

As for the accuracy of the Mark V action. It was my choice for my custom build in .338 Lapua and I am very pleased with its accuracy and took a WT doe at 1137 this year.

Jeff
Old 01-21-2009, 02:47 AM

Re: Caliber questions

Thanks for the replies fellas. I am about to put a down payment on a custom. The only problem, I am still having problems deciding the caliber.

The 300 Winch seems like a nice caliber. I've seen some remarkable accuracy with this one, but will it fulfill my need for power?

I like the 300 Weatherby. It fits right in the middle, but is it inherently less accurate? Can the freebore be eleminated with the non-Mark V action? I do like the ballistics, but what about the accuracy?

300 rum. Seems like a the one. But is there a good selection of brass out there? Is it too big for california blacktail. I think I know that answer, but I would like to hear some others opinions.

My blacktail this year was taken with a 300 Jarret, 180 ball tip. It took out the far shoulder on the exit. I hear that this round is comparable to the 300 rum.

Once again, thanks guys. Been to busy to respond to my own thread lately.