Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

caliber for new rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: caliber for new rifle

JDjones75,

Glad too see another 308 fanatic! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Yes, it gets over looked too many times due to its seemingly small size and its ballistics as they apear on paper seems less than desirable, but in the real world...
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:53 PM

Yea , I like the 308 , granted I have some boomers that get shot alot and the 308 woulden't be my first choice for shooting out past 600yds but when it comes don't to it that is my go to gun , its kinda like my cowboy boots , not matter how long they sit in the closet they still fit perfect.
Once you get your drops and windage set for your gun the 308 is awsome and not brutal at all
Old 06-25-2004, 03:13 PM

I can't believe how much of the magnumitis and featherweight rifle crap that is going around. A responsible hunter has no business shooting at a deer at 700 to 1000 yards, no matter what he can do from a bench. In the field with the adrenalin flowing, you may not be able to hit a barn at that distance. What's the matter, can't you stalk. Thats the fun part of hunting and the skill, I might add. A 308 or 30-06 is plenty of bang for a whitetail. I once shot lengthwise thru a BIG Colorado buck muley with a 30-06, Hornady 165 grn. bullet, loaded to about to about 2700+. The bullet helt together and exited high in the right ham, leaving a hole about the size of an orange, dead on the spot. Shoot something you can hit accurately with. Give me an 8# 30-06 with good glass. I am 68 and I can still carry my load in the mountains. Is a couple of pounds of rifle weight that much different? Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

Once you shoot a light 7.5lb rifle in 300RUM a regular 300win mag or 7mag is a pussy cat! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2004, 07:58 PM

I agree with Donald with regards to rifle weight. The thing that gets me is why go with a lightweight rifle and a big mag caliber? If someone was hunting Bighorn and wanted a light 6mm to carry up high I can understand.....Lightweight Magnum is an oxymoron!

I'd rather have weight than a brake.

Also, if you're not in shape to a 9 lb rifle afield, will a 7 lb be all that different?
Old 06-27-2004, 05:55 PM

In reguards to shooting animals at long range I only shoot "varmints" and in my area deer are way out of control and we can get tags to shoot them all year long on private land. I shoot at long range because that is what gives me the rush now days , testing my self against the range , and conditions.
Stalking , yes , all of my bigest deer were all killed within 30yds the very largest at less than 12 steps , when Iwant to stalk I bring my bow.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:21 PM

Donald, this site is called Long Range Hunting. Who made you God? If you can't or don't want to make the long shots than don't. But you have no right to tell us how far a responsible hunter can shoot. At 68 you should have control over that adrenalin rush. Those of us that do and practice at longrange can make clean kills at 700-1000 yards and beyond.