Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

caliber for new rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2004, 06:16 PM

caliber for new rifle

i am looking to buy a new rifle but i can't decide on a caliber. i have narrowed it down to either a 7mm rem mag, or a 300 win mag. i want something that won't obliterate a deer, but still have the power to reach out and touch them at long ranges. i am left handed so my choices are limited.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: caliber for new rifle

Either one will work fine for the purpose that you mentioned.

Personally, I always prefered my 7STW but the 7mm mag isn't too far behind. It may be the PERFECT longrange whitetail cartridge.

30 cal bullets are not really necessary for taking thin skined game.

VH
Old 06-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Obliterating deer has much to do with what type of bullet you hit em with and at what velocity.

Either the 7mm RM or the 300 WM are capable of either obliterating or not obliterating a deer. The 7mm with its tight twists and high velocity, they tend to tear them up a bit more. If you stick to partition or x type bullet niether will tear them up too bad. The 300 is very capable of very high velocities as well, but with more stout bullets in general and slower twists on average, they seem to tear stuff up a little less. Barrel life is similar and IMHO they both kick like mules.

The bottom line is.....get the one that you think you would appreciate more. Which one do you feel is superior? All of us here could argue for years as to which is better or worse. Each has unique qualities that you will have to decide on. Go with your gut. They will both make most deer hunters happy. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

WiWhitetail
I shoot a 300win. great gun, My next is most likely going to be the 7Rem Mag. In 7mm you can shoot bullets like a 162 A-Max B.C. 625!!! to get that in a 30 cal your talking a lot heavier and added recoil. Both excelent calibers.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:37 AM
Gold Member

Honestly I would step down to a 30-06. More than enough power to take deer without all the recoil. Plus it seems the whole world has caught magnum-itis and 30-06 are everywhere CHEAP!
Old 06-14-2004, 06:18 AM

I sorta agree with Chris... but I would go 308... you can kill a deer to 750 yards with it.... and can reload to do everything and '06 will do.. mostly....

if your in WI.. not sure how many oportunities there are for 1K stuff.. but then again I don't live there ;-) so how would I know...
Old 06-14-2004, 07:21 AM
PUBLISHER

There are more than a few 1K opportunities in Wisconsin! There is a lot of agricultural land with fields that go on forever. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors