Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Buying a New Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 03:23 PM

Buying a New Rifle

I am looking for a medium to long range Tack Driver that is capable of taking up to Elk and Moose. This means at least a 6.5mm caliber with the .270 or larger being better. Right now I hunt with a NEF Handi-Rifle .270 or borrow my father's Ruger M77 .270. I like the Ruger very much but it's been thirty since that rifle rolled off the Assembly line and they've come along with the M77MkII and now the Hawkeye. My father and I both handload so I am not limited to factory loads but do like the option if needed and it makes break-in easier. So far I have narrowed the rifles of interest down to:

Remington 700 SPS: I don't know about accuracy with this one but being a 700 any options are made available.

Savage Long Range Hunter: Have some experience with the FT-R .308 and like it besides the Accu-Trigger. Don't particularly care for muzzle breaks though.

Ruger Hawkeye Sporter or Mk.II Target: I like the smoothness of the Original M77 and have heard this carried over with subsequent models.

Does anyone have experience with any of these rifles and how was accuracy, bolt smoothness, and trigger? Thanks in advance for any help.

-Cadet Wells
Old 08-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Buying a New Rifle

Take a look at the Remington Senderos for the long range portion of your question. Also, I would really consider a 30 cal for elk and moose.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:40 PM

Thanks, The Sendero is a little out of my price range and weight wise I'd like to be able to carry it around. The purpose of this rifle is part of my pre-Graduation plan.

I am a Yearling(Sophomore) at West Point and would like to keep my number of weapons down so it easier when the Army wants me to move about but still have as many niches filled as I can since I don't know where they will want me.

I also found a surprise while surfing around, The Weatherby Vanguard S2 is guaranteed MOA and at $450, I think I may have to get that. Plus it has a two-stage trigger, which I use everyday on my Anschutz rifles. I always have thought Weatherby=$$$$$. Now to decide between 7mm or .300. Thanks for your help.

-Cadet Wells
Old 08-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

To improve on the Weatherby a bit, swap the plastic stock for a Bell & Carlson unit, bed it correctly, and you'll have a great rifle. Not that they aren't nice as-is, but you will be much more consistent with a better stock.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:59 PM

Thank you sir,

I was hoping the Weatherby would be a get more than what you pay for and then I could do what I needed to make it a great shooter. Only question is, what does Weatherby consider premium ammo for their guarantee. Is this like Hornady and Federal Premium or something else.

Thanks,
Cadet Wells
Old 08-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Bronze Member

I believe Weatherby is generally referring to their own ammo, which I have found is pretty close to their claimed velocities.

I own a Weatherby Vanguard stainless chambered in 300 WBY. Overall I think it is a good value for a solid rifle. It has a strong action, and though it doesn't have the best factory trigger, it is easily adjustable down to 3-1/4 pounds. I have enjoyed it, but I agree that a better stock would be my first choice in upgrades.

I might also recommend a muzzle brake. I don't have one yet, and I got whacked in the forehead and nose by my scope while shooting prone at the range the other day. First time for me, but taught me to keep the pad firmly on my shoulder.

Good luck. Let us all know what you decide.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:33 PM

Thanks, The Weatherby site said "SUB-MOA Accuracy Guarantee ensures .99" or less 3-shot group at 100 yards when used with Weatherby factory or premium ammunition." and since Weatherby doesn't make 7Mag or 300WinMag ammo, what is an equivalent.

-Cadet Wells