Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Bullet weight, velocity and energy???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bullet weight, velocity and energy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikkaT3Hunter View Post
Thanks for the info so far! My Daughter is 14 but I have a muzzle brake on the gun so recoil is not bad at all.
Iam looking for a rifle (tikkaT3 hunter lite ) in a 270 cal. for 2 young hunters I took out last year elk hunting and white tail hunting.14 and 15 years old. coyotes to elk good all around cal. for anyone.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bullet weight, velocity and energy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikkaT3Hunter View Post
Long time lurker first time poster!!!

I have a tikka T3 300 WSM that I'm currently shooting 150gr accubonds with superformance powder at an advertised velocity of 3400fps and 33" of drop in 500 yards (I know this needs to be verified) These are my deer loads but my daughter drew a cow elk tag this fall and I'm thinking a heavier bullet either 165 or 180 would be better for the elk. When I look at various powders and bullets combos for those weights neither the velocity or the energy are equal to my current load plus the heavier bullets have more drop. I'm not seeing any benefits to going to a heavier bullet but this seems contrary to what i'm reading on the internet jungle. Is it worth the time and money to work up another load that seems like it will do exactly what my current set up will do? Thanks for any input!
I believe 165 gr. would be the all around for her.