Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

bullet run-out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2005, 08:00 AM
Silver Member

Re: bullet run-out

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is that your neck run-out is being introduced by the sizing die or sizing operation. Check the neck run-out on fired cases and then again after every step of your reloading process. This will tell you where the problems originates.

Once you determine what is causing the problem, fixing it will be easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would go through these steps and also measure the neck of the fired case, sized case, and sized case with a seated bullet. Over sizing caused me the same problem. I light size the body to set the shoulder then do the neck with a bushing just enough to get the tension I want.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:26 AM
Silver Member

Have any of you guys ever tinkered with the Lyman "m" die? There are some guys on another forum that do alot of shooting and swear by it. It has a slight swell at the top of the mandrel to ever so slightly bell the case mouth. It's more designed for seating lead bullets. But what's being found is it makes bullet seating more accurate....I suppose for the reasons above--it takes away the factors of square trimming and chamfering. Some people arent even doing inside chamfering--they just do an ever so slight crimp when done. I bought a couple of these dies cause they are cheap (about $12) and they work really well for ironing out new case necks......but I think they have a calling for more than that. They also help when using coated bullets like xlc's and winchester ball tips.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Bronze Member

I squared and trimmed all of my brass and cut my runout to about .0025 to .003. thanks guys. timbo
Old 08-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Silver Member

Try a Lee collet neck die. It pretty much eliminated all of my runout problems.