Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

bullet run-out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Bronze Member

bullet run-out

I'm loading 139 grain lapua's for my 6.5/284 and was wondering what was the norm for bullet runout.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: bullet run-out

Timbo,

If you have run outs in the 0.0015" range or less you have match grade ammo as far as bullet run out is concerned.

0.002" is acceptible in most cases but anything in teh 0.003" and higher is getting pretty off for long to extreme range performance.

It will greatly depend on what dies you are using to load your ammo.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Bronze Member

I was using rcbs dies and was getting .008 runout so I switched to Wilson seater dies but still get .0045 to .005 runout on the finished cartridge, with less than .001 runout on my cases. any suggestions? thanks timbo
Old 08-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

My guess is that your neck run-out is being introduced by the sizing die or sizing operation. Check the neck run-out on fired cases and then again after every step of your reloading process. This will tell you where the problems originates.

Once you determine what is causing the problem, fixing it will be easier.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Timbo,

Are all your necks trimmed to length. And also trimmed perfectly square? Are they all chamfered as squarely as possible. If a case neck is uneven or the chamfer inside the case mouth is uneven, it will induce a cant in the bullet as it is seated.

Neck thickness variation can also effect run outs if the variation is large enough.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-06-2005, 12:59 AM
daveosok

Hey Kirby

What do you think of the bullet straighteners I've seen on a site somewhere?
They sorta look like a die but have a screw from the side that "pushes" the bullet back to center some have indicators to measure how much its moved some dont.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Daveosok,

I have heard decent report on them but I have also heard they can be time consuming. TO be honest, using a set of top end dies generally results in no need for these but to answer your question, I have heard good reports but have not actually tested on myself.

I have been thinking about getting one for the 50 BMG but have been to busy to really get the 50 out and play with.

Later,

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com