Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Bullet Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2006, 06:22 PM

Bullet Performance

I have read that certain bullets are not recommended for use on big game as a result of their terminal performance becuase they are designed to be used on targets.

This includes the Sierra Boat-Tail Hollow Point MatchKing and the Berger VLDs.

My question is this. If you are using a magnum cartrdige in 6.5 caliber and up on varmints, does terminal performance really matter? For example, can a 7mm Remington Magnum with a 26" barrel consistently kill prairie dogs before they get back into their hole when launching 175 SMKs or 180 Berger VLDs?

How about if we go a little bigger and try these bullets on antelope?

Anyone have experience with these bullets on smaller game?
Old 01-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bullet Performance

I have shot many 30cal 190SMK's at praire dogs. As far as I could tell the bullet did not expand at all at any range. I think the target is just too small and fragile for that bullet, because I know they will expand very well in small deer. Most of them did not make it back into their holes. Most of the time the little critters would just quiver or freeze for a second and then tip over, kindive intresting I thought. Some would even grab their chests just like in the movies and then fall over, those were the funniest ones.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Bronze Member

Just recently read a report where smk's were used on 2 Whitetail deer with horrible results & one animal not recovered. With the precision quality of most hunting bullets nowadays, it just doesn't make ethicalsense to me; to use target bullets on game.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

I have shot my last 2 coyotes with the 210g VLD out of my 300 RUM leaving only 3000fps estimate. The 2 I have shot have been 118 yards, and 275 yards running. The 118 yard one I called in and he was a dead sitting duck. Bullet struck a little high on shoulder and blew a friggin pie plate size hole. Left fur in a 10ft radius. The 2nd I let a friend have the first standing shot. He missed low with my 222 at 250 yards and I had 1 shot in my 300 RUM because the bullets are so long, I gave it my best as that yote was hauling. After the recoil, the yote was down twirling, clearly a butt shot. By the time I got to him he was dead. Once agaon, huge hole, fur everywhere. Awesome expansion bullets. Probly work good for deer as well.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:10 PM

i also shoot 2506 hand loaded some 100 grain nosler ballistic tip spitzer got a deer this year he was like jello in side iam new at this iam sure you can tell like to know more about all reloading and long range shooting etc.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Bronze Member

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the time the little critters would just quiver or freeze for a second and then tip over, kindive intresting I thought. Some would even grab their chests just like in the movies and then fall over, those were the funniest ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care who you are, that is funny... as Larry the Cable guy would say.... I just had to reply to this, it's hard to type right with tears of laughter in your eyes... oh well I guess that just shows how bad I am. I don't know if you ment your post to be this funny, but the picture you painted was hilarious.. kepp em coming.

EZ
Old 01-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Silver Member

Yes, I meant it to be that funny. Believe me the first one I shot that reacted that way had me rolling with laughter. I am used to shooting them with small 22 cal bullets launched at about mach 4 (Only small parts of them could possibly get back into a hole after being hit with that)

I do have one more bit of useful information for the orignal poster. I have shot a few rabbits with the 190SMK's as well, all impact velocities were above 2500fps. None of them ever ran anywhere after being hit. Exit holes were 1-2 inches in size.