Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Bullet Coatings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2004, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

Bullet Coatings

I have seen where more and more kinds of bullet coatings are coming out. What one do you prefer and why? I have seen things like Lubalox, Moly, and Tungsten, the blue meanies, ect.

Does anyone know what Lazzeroni uses to coat his bullets? I know he says its not Moly so I am thinking maybe its this tungsten stuff. If it is can you do that coating at home?
Old 02-17-2004, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bullet Coatings

I shoot moly if the rifle likes it. If not, I shoot 'em naked.

I use the moly 'cause it works if used correctly. I'm using a moly pre-coat liquid now. I think it helps to give the barrel a nice and even coat of moly without fouling mixed in. When shooting moly in, after your first shot, you're not completely coating the barrel and you can get copper on the barrel and then lay moly over it. Doesn't make sense to do it like that to me. This may contribute to the 'layering' phenomenon attributed to repeated use of moly. With the moly prep, you clean the barrel completely every few hundred shots, moly and all. Then you lay down a new layer of moly prep on the clean barrel and go back to shooting.

I tried Fastex and found that it does work, but not as good as moly (at least that's been my experience). I haven't experimented with any other coatings so I can't comment on them.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:19 AM
Silver Member

Lazzeroni's bullets are coated with NP3. It's a proprietary coating from Robar. It's some kind of a combination of Nickel and Teflon. Robar use to do the metal work on the Lazz rifles, but I heard that ended a couple of years ago. As far as the bullets, Barnes is supposed to be making them slightly undersized, then Robar plates them which brings them up to finished size. Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

Well I got my box of Lazzerheads in yesterday to try out in my STW. There was a bit more info that came with the bullets and it does say the NP3 coating and that it is electroplated on these bullets. I rubbed on one for some time and it polished up pretty but nothing came off. I weighed each bullet as well. They claim 120 gr but I found them to be just under 121 gr at 120.7 and I weighed each of them and they were ALL within .05 +or- of each other. Needless t say I was happy with that. They better be good though, for $65 totall for 50.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:05 PM

i shoot moly out of my rifless .i huve to run a bore brush after every 60 shots. it seems i loose velocity .has anybody else had simmilar results?bt on the plus it shoots farther an i believe faster
Old 02-19-2004, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

Moly will do that (loose velocity with the same load).

The reason is that the moly has a lower coefficient of friction than steel or copper. The bullet slides out of the case neck easier (less pressure) and the peak pressure is lower. Pressure is what pushes the bullet out of the barrel. Soooo..the velocity is lower.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

I use tungsten.
No more copper fouling. I don't know about layering, but and it comes out with little work. I get 100rnds atleast between cleanings, without loss of grouping. By then I think fowder fouling begins to take its toll. Either that, or my constant fiddling.