Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Building a Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2004, 09:30 PM
Silver Member

Building a Rifle

Recently I asked about custom rifles. Are there any books out there that would give me insight in building a rifle myself. I do not know it I want to tackle such a job as building one myself. It does give on the satisfaction of completing something of this magnitude and then seeing it pay off by taking and animal in the field or doing well in a competition. It would be a really special gun. But even if I do order one, reading books on how to build rifles will give me a deeper understanding and knowledge of what to look for when having one built for me.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:23 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Building a Rifle

I've got a book that covers some of the process of threading and chambering a barrel, along with truing the action, bolt face and lugs. It's The Complete Illustrated Guide to Precision Riffle Barrel Fitting by John Hinnant. Do a lot of research on the net and you'll find a good number of tips on how to rework rifles. You might concider using a Remington action, pretty simple to work with. I built my .300 ultramag completely myself, yea It's neat that it was used last season to take a pair of elk and mullies [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Silver Member

I was actually thinking about a remington action. I will look at that book and give it a try. How about the stock end of the deal. What kind of work does it take to build one?
Old 03-25-2004, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

Do you know where I might find that book?
Old 03-25-2004, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

Chris,

The stock work is fairly easy if you have the right tools.

Brian
Old 03-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Silver Member

Is there a book that stands out above the rest as being exceptional for lighter weight, stronger more accurate stocks?
Old 03-26-2004, 09:54 PM
Bronze Member

Chris, Brownells has the book on rebarreling. Believe they also have info on stockmaking.