Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Building a "cheap" 6mm-06 Ackley out of a M-98 Mauser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Silver Member

Building a \"cheap\" 6mm-06 Ackley out of a M-98 Mauser

Well, with owning a Rem 700 fully accurized by Darrell Holland in 6mm Ackley with a 1-7 Lilja for the 107 Matchking all set with 20 moa Baer bases, Mark 4 rings, and a 6.5-20x50 Vari-X III for 1000+ yard shooting; now I've been hit by the VELOCITY bug. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I wanted to do this project as cheaply as possible, since the barrel life "might" make it to 1200 rounds. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] A pal has loaned me a reamer for the 6mm-06 Ackley, and I already had a GEW-98 just sitting around so I ordered one of these, a Fajen Walking Varminter stock, and the dies from Midway as well (the dies, which BTW was on sale for 46% off!!![img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]). Right now the barrel and action are at my local gunsmith for some easy machining. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

With all that said, does anyone out there have any fireforming loads or pet loads for this caliber that they are willing to share (the 6mm-06 Ackley IS hotter than the 240 Weatherby)? I was looking at purchasing a bulk box of the 70 grain Speer TNTs or 70 grain Nosler BTs and seeing what I could wring out of them (should be around 4100 fps), but I figured that I'd ask around a bit here first. BTW, I'll be fireforming with 95 grain Nosler BTs. Thanks for any info that you could share! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Lastly, the friend that loaned me the reamer bought a H&R Varminter in 243 Win. and has been wringing the 55 grain BTs to 4400 fps out of a 22 inch barrel!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
.35 Whelen
6mm Ackley
7mm BR
6mm PPC

"Sic Semper Tyrannus"
Old 11-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: Building a \"cheap\" 6mm-06 Ackley out of a M-98 Mauser

this happens to be a round that i have been doing alot of research on, id suggest going ahead and using the load data for the 240 Weatherby as a starting point and a fireforming load, then just step up little by little and watch for signs of pressure. i dont know how well it will do out of a 24" barrel, but that round should produce 3500+ fps with bullets in the 100gr range. good luck and keep us posted!
later
Dan
Old 11-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

You might want to take a look at the 70gr SMKs. They shoot very well in my 240 Wby. FN action in a Fajen stock w/ 26 in 1-10 twist Douglas barrel. I am shooting them at about 3700 fps. I don't know how they will fare at higher speeds.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
You might want to take a look at the 70gr SMKs. They shoot very well in my 240 Wby. FN action in a Fajen stock w/ 26 in 1-10 twist Douglas barrel. I am shooting them at about 3700 fps. I don't know how they will fare at higher speeds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't ruled those "pills" out either. I think the Matchkings would do good as well.......just not as EXPLOSIVE. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'll keep y'all up to date......the 'smith should be done late next week and then I'll pillar bed the action (a PITA on a Mauser, BTW). I haven't quite picked out a "cheap scope" yet. I have peered through two BSAs and surprisingly, they are quite clear. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
.35 Whelen
6mm Ackley
7mm BR
6mm PPC

"Sic Semper Tyrannus"
Old 11-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

FYI, I have P.O. Ackley's volumes (I and II) of "Handbook For Shooters & Reloaders" and the 6mm-06 Ackley closely compares to the old .240 Super Varminter, the .240 Mashburn Falcon, and the .240 Gibbs. So I have loads with OLD powders, just none with our newly offered SMOKIN' powders. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I can't wait to see what some of our new high powered powders can do with this cartridge---even from a 24" barrel!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I do have a chronograph too, BTW. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
.35 Whelen
6mm Ackley
7mm BR
6mm PPC

"Sic Semper Tyrannus"
Old 11-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Writers Guild

Consider data from the 240 Weatherby as the case capacity is almost identical to the 6-06. Just the freebore/throat dimensions may be different.

Also, have a look at the 6-284. Very similar capacities so performance is the same ballpark.

Big limiting factor to your quest is the roughness of the bore. A&B barrels do shoot very well but are rough. Rough meaning quite a bit of machine marks BELOW the surface. A few rough spots above. They may not tolerate the super velocites you are looking for. If not, I would suggest doing some hand lapping using JB bore polishing compound on a tight patch followed up by reg. JB. That usually does the trick.

I really like the Vmax bullets and 70 or 87gr bullet should go poof really well at these velocities. They also tolerate very high velocities well.

I have used military actions for many of my past projects and they work very well.

Good luck...

Jerry
Old 11-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Big limiting factor to your quest is the roughness of the bore. A&B barrels do shoot very well but are rough. Rough meaning quite a bit of machine marks BELOW the surface. A few rough spots above. They may not tolerate the super velocites you are looking for. If not, I would suggest doing some hand lapping using JB bore polishing compound on a tight patch followed up by reg. JB. That usually does the trick.

Good luck...

Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

I have Neco's Fire Lapping kit, and I intend on fire lapping while I am fire forming. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
.35 Whelen
6mm Ackley
7mm BR
6mm PPC

"Sic Semper Tyrannus"