Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Buidling a rifle....Opinions & Suggestions Appreciated!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Buidling a rifle....Opinions & Suggestions Appreciated!

From one sheep hunter to another, dont worry too much about the rifle's weight. Obviously there are limits, but a 11-13 pound rifle is OK. My favoriate sheep rig is 12#. I tried 15# and it was doable yet uncomfortable. The added stability for the cold bore shot and the long range shot is worth the extra weight.

As far as which reticle, there is a plethora of them to choose from. NP-R2 is great for the 300-338 RUM's and so is the TMR from leupold or MLR from night force.

If you download the software found at the link below, you can enter atmoshperic conditions and BC and bullet velocity, zero range ect... and it will show you which reticle will best suit your caliber and loads.

27.25" of barrel minimum.

For the average weekend hunter or shooter, no its not worth a wild cat. Wild cats are however more fun and intriquing!

You cant go wrong with building a custom LR rig on the tried and true Rem 700.

Good luck!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Buidling a rifle....Opinions & Suggestions Appreciated!

Why not just pop for a new Accumark in 338-378Wby. It comes with everything you are looking for and I believe it has a performance advantage over the 338 Edge. I can show you how to adjust the trigger. No need to pay to have it done.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.