Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out


Reply

Budget Build Help - Laminate or not?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-09-2012, 03:03 PM
SBD SBD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 23
Budget Build Help - Laminate or not?

Hey guys, so I'm getting my 18yr old son into the rifle shooting game. He has been shooting shotguns for a few years bird hunting and what-not. But now he wants to build a rifle to start getting into this. He's a full time college student who works part time, and I told him I'd match him dollar-for-dollar in helping him fund his build. So after a few months of him drooling over Senderos and Savage Model 10 FCPs, we picked up a nice, lightly used Remington 700 ADL sporter in 7mm-08 with the plastic stock. (I have the same gun in .243 but I will have a "slightly larger" budget)

With the initial gun purchased, he is moving to optics and a stock. Thinking of something like a 10x Bushnell Elite - I think that's good for a 7mm-08, will allow him to learn target turrets and mil-dots, is within his budget, and it's not made in China - It's been my experience that at that price range, fixed power is more durable. Any other sub $400 options?

We'd like to send the action out to a good smith to have it worked and the trigger tuned. Ideally we'd like to get the stock 1st and send em out together. Montour County Rifles has an accuracy package that beds the stock and works the action and trigger for $300 - That's what we're shooting for

As far as stocks, the laminates from Boyd's and Stocky's are right in his budget wheelhouse and we'd grab a set of Pillar bedding blocks. Finding an aftermarket stock for an ADL blind mag (that is actually in stock) is a lot harder than we thought. Sure we could get BDL bottom metal and a BDL stock, but that is going to add $100+ to the build, and for something that people end up upgrading anyways. I had a floor-plate Savage that used to pop open and dump out the ammo on me. So we figured a blind mag was cheaper to buy and will stay shut.

So are the laminates worth it? How close to "drop in" are they? Has anyone used the newer Stocky's made by Revolution? He is 5'7 and wears a medium glove. How large is the palm swell on a thumbhole? Or should we wait and hold out for a composite with an aluminum bedding block - Seems like the one we'd get is the H-S Precision Pro Series 2000 for $340

Thanks guys... He'd be super excited to see what you guys thought about his build, and any advice is GREATLY appreciated
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 03-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,057
Re: Budget Build Help - Laminate or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBD View Post
With the initial gun purchased, he is moving to optics and a stock. Thinking of something like a 10x Bushnell Elite - I think that's good for a 7mm-08, will allow him to learn target turrets and mil-dots, is within his budget, and it's not made in China - It's been my experience that at that price range, fixed power is more durable. Any other sub $400 options?

We'd like to send the action out to a good smith to have it worked and the trigger tuned. Ideally we'd like to get the stock 1st and send em out together. Montour County Rifles has an accuracy package that beds the stock and works the action and trigger for $300 - That's what we're shooting for

As far as stocks, the laminates from Boyd's and Stocky's are right in his budget wheelhouse and we'd grab a set of Pillar bedding blocks. Finding an aftermarket stock for an ADL blind mag (that is actually in stock) is a lot harder than we thought. Sure we could get BDL bottom metal and a BDL stock, but that is going to add $100+ to the build, and for something that people end up upgrading anyways. I had a floor-plate Savage that used to pop open and dump out the ammo on me. So we figured a blind mag was cheaper to buy and will stay shut.

So are the laminates worth it? How close to "drop in" are they? Has anyone used the newer Stocky's made by Revolution? He is 5'7 and wears a medium glove. How large is the palm swell on a thumbhole? Or should we wait and hold out for a composite with an aluminum bedding block - Seems like the one we'd get is the H-S Precision Pro Series 2000 for $340

Thanks guys... He'd be super excited to see what you guys thought about his build, and any advice is GREATLY appreciated
You can buy a Richard's Micro Fit. They have a pretty low price. But I really like the Hart laminates that are offered at Stocky's. As for which to buy... it's up to you. Does he want the laminate look, or the water proof durability of the composite/fiber glass stocks. B&C are great options for affordability. I use one and it works great in my Savage.

The scope's, you could look at Viper Vortex, Falcon Menace, Nikon Buckmaster, and Millet. All of these would be good lesser expensive models. I currently own a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 that I have had on two .308's, a 300WSM, and a 22LR. They are really nice glass and durable. I've also owned the Buckmaster 6-18x40 I used on my 300WSM. It worked really well and both are repeatable in turning the turrets. I sold the Nikon for a Viper Vortex 6.5-20x44. I couldn't be happier. I've read that the Falcon Menace is a very good option and guys seem to like the Millets.
__________________
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 1,598
Re: Budget Build Help - Laminate or not?

Interesting build.

If it were me (and it's not) with that budget I'd think about...

This scope:
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 Plex' Riflescopes are Back @ $279.99

Very nice optics, allows you to play with turrets and powers, and virtually unbeatable for the price. We own 3 of them at present.


I'd look at these stocks:
* BLOWOUT * Long Range Sporter (LRS) Remington 700 798 BDL SPS, Mauser 98 / Interarms Mark X Sporters, Weatherby Vanguard / Howa 1500 Savage 10 Stevens 200 SA Laminated Thumbhole FBC Riflestock LIQUIDATION

*NEW* Heritage Classic Sporter Stocks - Remington 700 ADL BDL , Ruger 77 Mark 2, Savage 10 / 110, Winchester 70 / 70a / 670, Weatherby Vanguard

Bell & Carlson Alaskan Wilderness / Mountain Rifle Remington Model 700 / Model Seven (7) Stock - Right & Left Hand Available - NEW Models!

However, I would plan on adding pillars to any of the laminate stocks, and skim bedding whichever one you choose. They're all 3 going to be "close" but will probably need a tiny bit of finessing to get correct.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-10-2012, 04:02 AM
SBD SBD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 23
Re: Budget Build Help - Laminate or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Does he want the laminate look, or the water proof durability of the composite/fiber glass stocks. B&C are great options for affordability. I use one and it works great in my Savage.

I currently own a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 that I have had on two .308's, a 300WSM, and a 22LR. They are really nice glass and durable.
On the Nikon... I have the exact same scope on my hunting rifle! You're right, they are really nice glass, about the best I looked through in the <$300 category. What type of turrets are you using? If we could use this scope, I could just convince the wife that the money we saved could offset MY new scope (-:

As far as the durability of laminate. I was up in Canada shooting geese last winter and the guide had 2 laminate stocked rifles in his gun case. According to him, a properly done laminate will be every bit as durable and weather resistant as a composite (just what he told me). Is that not true? - As for looks, my kid is pretty handy with his air brush, so I'm sure it will be wearing some sort of tactical camo pattern in short time.

At any rate, thanks so much for the reply!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-10-2012, 04:11 AM
SBD SBD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 23
Re: Budget Build Help - Laminate or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post
Interesting build.

If it were me (and it's not) with that budget I'd think about...

This scope:
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 Plex' Riflescopes are Back @ $279.99

Very nice optics, allows you to play with turrets and powers, and virtually unbeatable for the price. We own 3 of them at present.


I'd look at these stocks:
* BLOWOUT * Long Range Sporter (LRS) Remington 700 798 BDL SPS, Mauser 98 / Interarms Mark X Sporters, Weatherby Vanguard / Howa 1500 Savage 10 Stevens 200 SA Laminated Thumbhole FBC Riflestock LIQUIDATION

*NEW* Heritage Classic Sporter Stocks - Remington 700 ADL BDL , Ruger 77 Mark 2, Savage 10 / 110, Winchester 70 / 70a / 670, Weatherby Vanguard

Bell & Carlson Alaskan Wilderness / Mountain Rifle Remington Model 700 / Model Seven (7) Stock - Right & Left Hand Available - NEW Models!

However, I would plan on adding pillars to any of the laminate stocks, and skim bedding whichever one you choose. They're all 3 going to be "close" but will probably need a tiny bit of finessing to get correct.
The "Blowout LRS" is out of stock on the ADL and they won't be getting more as Stocky's is switching to the Revolution line (like stock #2). The Heritage is an option, and one of the ones we are considering. The B&C again is not in stock (as most of the ADL stocks we find) Also it is a mountain rifle stock, how does that differ from the factory 700 contour? The only composite we have found "in stock" and under $500 is the H-S Precision Sporter 2000 I mentioned, and it is $340 shipped from Stocky's -
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,057
Re: Budget Build Help - Laminate or not?

There is nothing wrong with H-S stocks. Companies use them on there top end factory rifles. That says something for there quality. Laminates are definitely better than a standard single piece of hardwood. But they are still made of wood which if not sealed properly is susceptible to temp change and humidity. That is why you see some of the laminates with pillar bedding, aluminum bedding blocks. The unpillard stocks, and pillar bedded stocks usually get the devcon treatment or marine tex bedding. This helps to negate the problems of wood changing shape caused by weather.

If your son is planning on painting, then I would strongly suggest a composite stock. If you want to enjoy the beauty the laminates offer, then I would go that route.

From my understanding Nikon make target turrets that you can put on the Buckmasters now. The turrets that are on it are very easy to read and a low profile design. But the target turrets would be a bonus in my opinion. I will have to look into them myself one of these days. If you get the 6-18, they come with target turrets and what they call tactical turrets. The only thing about the 6-18 is that it is an 1/8MOA adjustment compared to the 1/4MOA adjustment of the 4.5-14. I really like both my scopes. It's a toss up really between the Vortex and the Nikon. I've been extremely happy with both. Customer service at both companies are top notch.
__________________
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 1,598
Re: Budget Build Help - Laminate or not?

If Stocky's doesn't have one in stock, they usually have them in quickly.

Call them if there is one you like in a B&C and see when they may get the next shipment in. The mountain rifle stock is a bit slimmer in the grip and slimmer overall.

Boyds also has ADL long action stocks:
Replacement Stocks for Remington Rifles and Shotguns

You would probably want to swap the pad on the Boyds unit for a Decelerator or similar.
Their thumbholes are in stock, and I have one on a Savage 93. If you have a gun store near you I'd look at one of those, as they are Boyd's stocks. You can then get an idea what those stocks are like, especially for hand sizing.
My two young girls have shot my 93 in 22LR and not had any problems, FYI.

For the scopes I own two Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 scopes in addition to the Vortexes I linked. I find the Vortex to have a larger field of view when comparing them side-by-side, and a much larger eyebox. It is much more comfortable to use. The Vortex is my preference, no contest.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Budget Build Help - Laminate or not?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just completed budget .308 build! jamesmc2 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 17 12-18-2011 01:16 PM
My First Build (338 on a budget.......right!!) pinchegil Gun Photos 8 10-03-2011 07:12 PM
My low budget build is done Zukman Long Range Hunting & Shooting 0 07-18-2011 06:34 PM
Budget build, advice please busse fan Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 23 05-19-2011 08:47 PM
Budget build idea...... BenY 2013 The Basics, Starting Out 21 03-04-2011 08:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC