Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Browning A-bolt Long Range Hunter info and advice for a new guy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Browning A-bolt Long Range Hunter info and advice for a new guy.

I know this thread has been dead for awhile, but I thought I would bring it back to life. I have noticed more of the Browning A-bolt long range hunters available on gunbroker and various dealers lately, so I was wondering if anyone has any time on this right now? I have yet to get my hands on one and I am wondering how the balance and extra weight feel?
Old 06-07-2012, 11:05 PM

I have a new one and I love it! It's a 7MM RM in the gray laminate with the fluted barrel. I really like the 26" heavy barrel. I wish the stock was a little thicker, especially in the fore end and even a little more in the palm swell. I have a pretty wide hand, so to me the ideal size would be between a standard size and the Sendero fore end. Shouldn't be an issue considering long range shots in the field will be taken from a rest. Overall though, the gun feels very balanced to me and the weight is exactly what I was looking for in a hunting rifle.

This is my first Browning rifle (and my first long range set up) and I am pleased so far. It has an adjustable trigger but I wish it would adjust a little lighter. I don't have a pull gauge, so I don't know exactly what it is set at now. I just wish it was a little lighter. I do believe that triggers are one of the after market mods that are available for Brownings, so that may be in my future.

That being said, it is a sweet shooter and has low recoil. I am shooting 160 grain Nosler Accubonds out of it and they shoot very well. I am not going to mess with the Bergers for this hunting season since I am limited on seating depth due to the magazine. This may be something you want to think about if you are a big Berger fan. Or just wait and try the new Hunting Hybrids that are coming out.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullDraw84 View Post
I have a new one and I love it! It's a 7MM RM in the gray laminate with the fluted barrel. I really like the 26" heavy barrel. I wish the stock was a little thicker, especially in the fore end and even a little more in the palm swell. I have a pretty wide hand, so to me the ideal size would be between a standard size and the Sendero fore end. Shouldn't be an issue considering long range shots in the field will be taken from a rest. Overall though, the gun feels very balanced to me and the weight is exactly what I was looking for in a hunting rifle.

This is my first Browning rifle (and my first long range set up) and I am pleased so far. It has an adjustable trigger but I wish it would adjust a little lighter. I don't have a pull gauge, so I don't know exactly what it is set at now. I just wish it was a little lighter. I do believe that triggers are one of the after market mods that are available for Brownings, so that may be in my future.

That being said, it is a sweet shooter and has low recoil. I am shooting 160 grain Nosler Accubonds out of it and they shoot very well. I am not going to mess with the Bergers for this hunting season since I am limited on seating depth due to the magazine. This may be something you want to think about if you are a big Berger fan. Or just wait and try the new Hunting Hybrids that are coming out.
Thank you fulldraw for your review. That pretty much sold me. I too am looking at the 7mm RM. I am a Nosler fan so the 160 grain accubond is something I would want to load. Do you load your own bullets? If so, what load is working for you? Thanks again
Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 PM

Yes, I am hand loading my own rounds for this rifle. I am using the 160 Accubonds with 66 grains of Reloader 22, a Federal 215 primer and Winchester Western brass. Shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I have a Huskemaw scope on mine and am currently gathering data for my custom turret. So far no complaints out to 500 yards with this load!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullDraw84 View Post
Yes, I am hand loading my own rounds for this rifle. I am using the 160 Accubonds with 66 grains of Reloader 22, a Federal 215 primer and Winchester Western brass. Shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I have a Huskemaw scope on mine and am currently gathering data for my custom turret. So far no complaints out to 500 yards with this load!
What kind of speeds are you getting with this?
Old 06-09-2012, 12:35 PM

Honestly I don't know yet. I had to get a new chrono and won't have time to shoot with it for about another week. When I was developing my load, my focus was on accuracy. I am new to long range shooting, so data collection, especially shooting at 500 yds+, will be a slow process for me. Sorry I couldn't give you a number but I am not going to make something up and mislead you.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:14 PM

I have a savage long range hunter for sale and am located in boise. Caliber is 7mag.