Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Browning A-bolt Long Range Hunter info and advice for a new guy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: Browning A-bolt Long Range Hunter info and advice for a new guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit208 View Post
Gotcha', lesson learned. Won't happen again. LOL.

Soooo, got an opinion on the 111 LRH? I've read mostly good, but some surprisingly bad remarks. That's actually the rifle my son is liking.
HOLY HELL WHAT HAVE YOU DONE! YOU HAVE MENTIONED THE BREAD AND BUTTER RIFLE OF ALL "SEMI-CUSTOM" SHOOTERS! ahaha

Long story short, everyone loves the 111. I have never actually held one so I can not give you an honest opinion. Like I said, go with your gut. I say your son will love the 111 especially if he wants to customize later! Once he gets the itch.. he will have to scratch it! I dont like savage because they feel cheap in my hands. (which compared to most.. in terms of price THEY ARE VERY CHEAP! which may be the best thing for a 14 year old.) I am 21 and I still ding up and scratch my guns! I would puke if I scratched a 2000 dollar rifle! I think savage is a great company and they stand behind their products. Ask him how he likes it and if he enjoys the way it feels... give him the itch! Good luck to you sir. If you have any questions let me know. I may not be the BEST one to talk to you...but I am not going to church anything up for you. Ill let you know how I feel. haha
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-17-2011, 10:42 PM

Holy Crap! I found someone I can relate to right off the bat! I totally appreciate a man who doesn't pull any punches and gives me the opinion I asked for. Thanks man!

Well, since you said first, yeah, I agree with you about Savages. I own three, they shoot better than almost any other production rifles I've ever had, but they are ugly, feel clubby in my hands and life is too short to only own ugly guns, no matter how well they perform. I equate guns to women in that respect.

Thanks for the words and nice to meet ya'!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit208 View Post
I equate guns to women in that respect.

Thanks for the words and nice to meet ya'!
Ohhh sir.. We are going to get along just fine! Nice to meet you too. I just feel like im gunna break that damn savage every time i pick it up! Sounds like you know more about rifles than I do. Why do you need help? Hell you own one of everything! haha I'd say that boy of yours is more gun savy than half of the grown men I hunt with. Sounds like hes been around em his whole life. Was I mistaken when you said he wants a 7rem. The kid sounds like he needs a MAN gun! I say that 7rem is perfect! Im glad that your passing on the tradition and the skills to your son. It makes me proud that their are dads like you still left in this world. Its what keeps this extraordinary sport alive! Thank you for what you do! He will never forget the memories behind that trigger no matter what gun you decide to go with. Are you planning on getting him this for Christmas? Because that sounds like the best gift a dad could possibly get his son. I will always remember when my dad handed me my benelli supernova. Still the best shotgun I have ever shot. It has killed more critters than any of my other guns combined!
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-17-2011, 11:22 PM

Well, I wouldn't say I own one of EVERYTHNG...as much as I'd like to be able to, but over the years I've owned A LOT of everything out there brand-wise anyway. I used to be a true member of the rifle of the month club. Now, I've got my favorites in the safe, but my kids are all getting older and their going off to college has severly put a limit to my addiction. And, yeah, when it comes to this niche role of the dedicated long range rifle stuff, I do need some help.

Ive got rifles chambered in long range calibers, but none are what you guys on here are building and shooting. I want one too!! I know the basics of rifle building and what it takes to shoot accurately, past, say, 500 yards, but setting out with a rig and skill set to call that a chip shot is new to me. You know what I mean? I've always abided by the "get closer" rule. My dad would HAVE NEVER let me shoot at anything that far off when he was teaching me how to hunt. Times have changed....He once watched me shoot a deer at about 400,,,after I was an adult...and I still got "the look" from him. LOL. And this was from a guy who shot a 264 Win Mag!!

And the rifle I'll be buying for my son will be a birthday present, he's getting a new 870 for xmas. And yeah, he's had a rifle in his hands since he was about 4. One of his favorite stories is about how he got "scoped" by my old Sako Forester CHAMBERED IN 222 when he was 3! LOL. Now he's bigger than I am and wanting a 7 mag! He shot a buddies 30-378 a few days ago and, well, lets just say it humbled him a bit. I tried to warn him....But, yeah, I have really tried to instill "gun culture" in to all of my kids, including my nine year old daughter....thanks for noticing.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

SEND- the answer to most questions here are - remington sendero and leup 6.5-20. AND a good range finder. i have shot in f-class competition against savages. i like it. never shot against a browning or a .270 . i would like that too.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Sendit,

I am all for the Brownings, I have an Abolt stainless stalker in 7mm I bought when I was 12 years old and I love that thing. it is a real shooter which for me means a great long range rig. Sure there isnt a lot of aftermarket support for them but there is some. and the way they shoot out of the box makes up for some of that. The only downfall I see is magazine box length for shooting those longer high BC bullets but even so doesnt take them out of the equation. Most of my LR shooting is done single shot. Sure sometimes you have a close quick shot but you can always load up a few shorter cartridges to keep in the magazine for those instances. I highly reccomend using your browning for LR. you are not going to find much info on your new rifle though as it is a shot show special. Very limited number of them around

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 12-19-2011, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah, I'm not finding much on the new Browning as far as info., bummer. If it shoots as good, or better, than any of the past, or the current A-Bolt I have now I may just order one sight unseen if I can find one. I saw one, well actually three, listed on GunsAmerica the other day. The one I want, the stainless synthetic, went for $869, I'm not to keen on the laminant model.

As for Sendero's...yeah, I know they generally shoot and everyone seems to like them, but Remington has gotten a bit tooooo proud of them anymore for what they are. Not dis'ing any Sendero shooters out there in any way, but I've had one in the past and it wasn't all that as far as I was concerned. To each there own, I've become a bit disillusioned with Remington over the past few years.

What I REALLY WISH would happen, though, is for TC to put a 26" barrel on the ICON PH and chamber it in a few bigger rounds. I've got an ICON Weathershield in 308 and I think its the best built and just about the most accurate out of the box rifle I've ever had, sans a couple past Sakos ( fit and finsh ) and a savage or two ( accuracy wise ) after some very minor tweaking. Overall, though, considering fit / finish / accuracy and cost, the ICON has been the best for me taking everything about it into consideration.

Last edited by sendit208; 12-19-2011 at 05:34 PM.