Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Browning A-bolt Long Range Hunter info and advice for a new guy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 08:41 PM

Browning A-bolt Long Range Hunter info and advice for a new guy.

Hello everyone, Im new here as you can see. I am wanting to set up, well, actually two LR guns this year. One for dad and one for my 14 year old son.

Im not in any way new to the rifle scene, but am fairly naive to the dedicated, LR rifle concept. I just stumbled across the new, Browning A-bolt Long Range Hunter, but cannot find any detailed reviews involving any real trigger time with the rifle. Have any of you any hands on experience with this rifle? If so ANY and ALL input will be well received by us.

Im wanting a new LR rig in 300 WM and my son is leaning toward a 7mm RM. Since I will be setting up two, the custom stuff is out of the question due to price. And with some of the out of the box offerings we are coming up with, factory, with some minor mods, will suit us just fine....for now anyway.

They'll be used for high country hunting ( mule deer and elk ), as well as big, open hay fields, and LR practice on steel. We are liking the Vortex Viper HS LR line of glass.

Again, any opinions, experiences with that particular Browning, or other options I should consider will be well received.

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: Browning A-bolt Long Range Hunter info and advice for a new guy.

OHHH no.. what have you done.. hahaha

You wont see many browning supporters on this site because of the lack of customization that can be done later. There is no super cool custom parts available. I am sorry but I didnt like the feel of the A-bolt so I went with an X-bolt for hunting. The handful of A-bolt supporters will more than support the accuracy and ruggedness of the A-bolts. I have never seen a browning that ISNT a shooter.

But I will warn you now.. You will be getting alot of savage recommendations and alot of Remington recommendations. I say go with the browning. I love browning but you wont find many supporters here.

I can give you a recommendation on glass. I think you have a good idea when talking about the vortex Hs line. I love mine. Its clear and the reticles are very thin which I like. Vortex has a lifetime warranty which is BOSS to say the least. Their turrets track perfectly and their glass is so nice.

In my experience.. go with your gut.. pick up the A-bolt... see how it feels, see how the action feels, and get what you NEED for the hunting situation you will be in. Dont get anything that is super cool and pretty... Go with your gut. Thats all I can say.

Goodluck and be safe.
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-17-2011, 10:02 PM

Thanks for your input. I have an A-bolt already, so I'm famiar with the action. I like it, always have. I've have and have owned lots of Savages and Remingtons, so no surprises for me there. I, personally, probably won't be tricking the new LR rig out all that much, but my son will I'm sure, so the lack of super cool add ons for Brownings doesn't bother me all that much.

Brownings have always been real shooters for me ( with two notable exceptions that come to mind ) and I'm not much of a brand loyalist...I like what I like when I find it and generally abide by your advice of going with my gut. The problem is that with this particular Browning, I cant find one and can't find much in the way of reviews. The purchas(es) will be in the spring after tax time, so I really want to get some input prior to that time so when I DO find one I can buy it at the time, or not, cause from what I'm gathering they are kinda hard to find. I want to have all my researching done when I've got the money ready to spend. Despite all my other Brownings always shooting reasonably well, if not really well, I always like to try and get the low down on specific models from others prior to buying when I can.

I've got nothing against Savages, Remingtons, Tikkas, etc., I own at least one of all of them, but this new Browning has just got "the look" that caught my attention.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit208 View Post
I own at least one of all of them, but this new Browning has just got "the look" that caught my attention.
Sometimes that is the straw that breaks the camels back...
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-17-2011, 10:07 PM

HAAA, I've already learned something here!! Mentioning Browning on this site is a lot like mentioning Bowtech on some of the archery related sites I go to!! LOL
Old 12-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit208 View Post
HAAA, I've already learned something here!! Mentioning Browning on this site is a lot like mentioning Bowtech on some of the archery related sites I go to!! LOL
HA... and now you know better. Shame on you. haha

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-17-2011, 10:17 PM

Gotcha', lesson learned. Won't happen again. LOL.

Soooo, got an opinion on the 111 LRH? I've read mostly good, but some surprisingly bad remarks. That's actually the rifle my son is liking.