Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Browning A-Bolt 7wsm Options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Re: Browning A-Bolt 7wsm Options?

As many of you know there are many different hunting situations one could encounter in TX. Very long scendaro shots, open plains, and short 100s in the woods.
I think that the inaccuracy was due to first gen wsm's the rifle has a 9 twist and I notice they are producing 9.5 now.
Don't know how much diff this makes, but I expected a little better out the factor rig. Using a Burris FFII 4x14x44 and did use different scope to test optics(optics are true). The groups were at best 5"; after 150 rounds and re lapping the crown and nice load I have pulled them down to 1 Moa with some less. I am ok with that, not to knock the cal- it is probably the rifle. Have heard sim cases with same rifle. Very finaky. I enjoy target shooting and have a steady hand. 2 lb trigger spring to this rifle, very sweet feel, with new stock and custom barrel this will very likely be my beginner LRH rifle. Could probably perform as is but I want good quality which factory barrel may not be sufficient.

Jon A has a very nice rig. It's a prime example for what I am looking for.

Here is what current plans are: new stock-richards micro tact t-hole semifancy wal with glass bedding lug and action and f-flting barrel. I will later purchase a new barrel and have installed. This where my knowledge will fail me. What else will have to be done to the barrel/action? I read about "blue printing" and "have trued" but not sure what these entail?

Unread 02-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

The 7 WSM is a superb round for accuracy. A recent result with 24" 1:9 is attached on the link. Try the 160 Accubond or even 175 gr bullets with RL 22. Good luck.;page=0#140068
Unread 02-14-2007, 03:48 PM

jeffbird, those are impressive results. I am going customize my browning to see if I can hone my skills to match what you guys are doing.

JDJones above mentioned 28-30in barrel 8:1, jeffbird has a 24in 9:1.

I hate to start barrel a debate but the various data makes me.
Shilen is local for me and from what I understand they're very reputable. Unless there is convincing data to go elsewhere I will probably go with Shilen.

So that leaves the length and twist. I am guesing the 9 will accomadate 140-175 gr and 8 with 160+ bullet weights.

How long will be needed to develop optimum velocities?

Shilen doesn't believe in fluting what is your opinions on this?

I will go with stainles matte finish
Unread 02-15-2007, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

YOu wont need a 1 in 8 unless your shooting the 200g wildcat. The 1 in 9 will stabilize anything up to the 180g berger VLD. barrel length depends on what kinda hunting your going to be doing. If its a pack rifle, no more then 26", if its not going to be packed much then 28-30" would be fine.
Unread 02-26-2007, 12:35 PM

I bought a Winchester Coyote in 7 WSM because I was curious about the WSMs and the 7mm was the only one available. What a great round. I am hooked now. It shoots one hole with factory Winchester Supreme ammo.

Hang in there and work out the bugs in your rifle the round is a good one and so is the rifle.
Unread 02-26-2007, 01:28 PM

I appreciate all the input.

I have a new stock on order b/c I want a nice t.hole, the factory one is in good condition and I will sale whent the time comes.

I am going to try my hand a glass bedding. I like a challenge and expanding my knowledge. Once the stock is bedded I will see how the factory barrel reacts, ie any improvements. I also want to get a little more use out of the factory barrel. I suppose it would be hard to sale. I will keep you updated and try to get some b&a pics, so you all can laugh at me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Unread 02-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

Stone -,

Who is the stock manufacturer ?

I'm going to get a boyds for my browning 7mm wsm -the nearly $300 for a bell/carlson is more that i want to spend on mine.
Take your time and look/think over the bedding job and you'll do fine.
I like to use wooden dowels to make sure the screw holes line up then wrap surgical tubing/rubber bungee etc -to hold the action in place.
Some Q-tips and gun oil on hand to clean the bedding materail off as it squeezes out.
I saw a guy put O-rings on the barrel so the barrel stayed in the center of the channel -thought that was a good idea.
Well best of luck to you and let us see the pictures --always need a good laugh [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Midway has a cheap trigger spring that supposedly works well -i'm going to get one and also some of the bake on enamel paint and doll mine up.
AIPAC for president !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!