Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

browning bar 300

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 12:55 PM

browning bar 300

I first bought a bar .270 and a tasco world class bdc scope after I got out of the military in 1987. I shoot lefty, so the semi-auto works perfect plus I dont have to take my eyes off the target. So thats why I ordered the bar 300. The new models come with an adj. brake (not sure how to adj. that). I have to wait for them to build it. Cant wait to get it. Please be gentle, but I have a p1 shepard scope have had it for some time now. So thats where Im confused. I have been on so many ballistic drop sites trying to match the bullets to the scope It has mad me totaly lost. The drop figures in inches for the scope is(just to name a few) -49.00 at 600,-172.46 at 800 and-320.9 at 1000yds. cant seem to figure the right hold over, versus the bullet bc and velocity. Didnt think it would be this complicated. Any help would be greatly aprieciated.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: browning bar 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by steep slope View Post
I first bought a bar .270 and a tasco world class bdc scope after I got out of the military in 1987. I shoot lefty, so the semi-auto works perfect plus I dont have to take my eyes off the target. So thats why I ordered the bar 300. The new models come with an adj. brake (not sure how to adj. that). I have to wait for them to build it. Cant wait to get it. Please be gentle, but I have a p1 shepard scope have had it for some time now. So thats where Im confused. I have been on so many ballistic drop sites trying to match the bullets to the scope It has mad me totaly lost. The drop figures in inches for the scope is(just to name a few) -49.00 at 600,-172.46 at 800 and-320.9 at 1000yds. cant seem to figure the right hold over, versus the bullet bc and velocity. Didnt think it would be this complicated. Any help would be greatly aprieciated.
Call Shepherd, they are good guys and will talk you through it in a few minutes.

Keep in mind that this rife is designed to provide you decent accuracy to about 400yds and that's about it, so beyond that isn't really an issue for you anyhow.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:38 AM

from my experience with my .270 and my cheap tasco scope ive taken several deer and desert dogs alot farther than 400yds. yesterday, I was very depressed by the reply so I went on a research binge. The adj brake is the boss system. You are to adj. it to as they say the sweet spot. Then even more finer tuning to even tighter groups. Plus I had a one on one chat with the guys at browning.I told them if it is only acurate to 400yds I dont want it. Holy smokes I think I opened a big can of hold on to your seat. Any way they gave me advice on ammo and optics that thier professional shooting team uses with great long range results.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

do you reload??
Old 12-22-2013, 10:23 AM

my father has a nice reload system. my first 300 dont have the dies ect. Good point though,as my father dont use it any more because of his age. Im going to sweet talk him out of it.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:06 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by steep slope View Post
from my experience with my .270 and my cheap tasco scope ive taken several deer and desert dogs alot farther than 400yds. yesterday, I was very depressed by the reply so I went on a research binge. The adj brake is the boss system. You are to adj. it to as they say the sweet spot. Then even more finer tuning to even tighter groups. Plus I had a one on one chat with the guys at browning.I told them if it is only acurate to 400yds I dont want it. Holy smokes I think I opened a big can of hold on to your seat. Any way they gave me advice on ammo and optics that thier professional shooting team uses with great long range results.
I'm just curious,,, how far do you expect this BAR .270 to be accurate to?
Old 12-22-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
I'm just curious,,, how far do you expect this BAR .270 to be accurate to?
Im good with the distance my.270 shoots. Its the new bar .300 that is being built from browning,that I havent got yet. Im hoping to try and be comfortable with it at 800yds if its do able. If not, I will be happy with a humane shot at shorter distance.