Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Breathing - Respiratory Pause and stuff like that...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2004, 05:08 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Breathing - Respiratory Pause and stuff like that...

Breathing for me is simply a means to an end, so to speak. Sure, you have certainly got to slow it down enough to break a clean shot, and you can not do that while continuing to breathe, but slowing my heart rate is of ultimate importance to me.

I drop down and get to position without wasting time, but not getting worked up in the process. When I know I've got to make a shot here in seconds, mentally I calm myself "back" down while I'm preparing for the shot, kind of like I'm getting ready for a nap type deal. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Got my clicks on and looking through the scope at my target, which I never take my eye off of for nothing. 30 seconds, 2 minutes, just don't seem to bother me keeping my eye in it for some reason. But I set my crosshairs low left and watch for them to top out on my target on total exhale, adjust the butt lower if POA is still too low. Once I've got that right I'm pretty much dealing with heart beat on the exhale. This is why I probably like to hold lighter than some guys, heartbeat seems to have less POA deflection and longer dwell time. Wait for the predominant wind condition I'm dialed for, three or four heartbeats and the bullet's on its way, or I breathe again two or three times and take it from the top again.

Being concious of my heart rate the whole time is what I focus on, so breathing correctly and slowing down becomes 2nd nature so the shot's placed well. Otherwise it's a rush to waste a shot, or a waste at a good chance for a shot because you're excessive heart rate has the crosshairs bouncing 10 MOA accross your FOV in a fevered pitch that you can never shoot accurately with.

Sometimes if my rear rest is not so good it works better to get set up high right on exhale, then take a good breath, hold, then fire. It must have something to do with what Ryan was describing, I'm sure.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:46 AM

Ryan,

WEll I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night and...... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Actually I have read that and experimented with it and it works....
Also, I do what Chris and Ian said if for somereason my shot doesn't break on the first 5-7 second pause...
Everytime.. I mean everytime I forced it my group went to hell or I missed that elusive sandstone rock...
Old 03-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Silver Member

If you've shot any conventional highpower matches then you've fought this battle before. Since conventional HP allows the use of a sling only for support, you deal with breathing and you pick up brachial pulse effect every time. There are ways to reduce it, but it's there.

During rapid fire strings or a hastily assumed position alot of folks set up for firing on the complete exhale. Others shoot after exhaling & inhaling a little. It's a matter of personal preference. I ended up with better peformances from a full exhale, but your mileage may vary.

What 4ked Horn described is a classic description of the term "Natural Point of Aim" or "NPA". Paying attention to this will reduce group sizes whether your shooting from a bench, from a sling in competition, or in field expedient mode. Basically, if your NPA is off, you'll likely find a different recoil impulse which will show immediately by your muzzle recoiling in a different direction than normal. You'll know it before you even see the bullet impact. I saw it twice in the Wimbledon Cup at Camp Perry a couple of years ago & BOY was it costly - two 9s. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Sloppy position was costly me even though the wind was taken out of the equation. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Yes, you may have to shoot between heartbeats. Slap a sling on your upper arm without a shooting coat with a +15 pound rifle & I guarantee you'll see it! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] many sniper programs have part of their qualification include a phase that requires shooters to run for 5 minutes or so to simulate a stress-induced pulse rate, then give a one minute limit for 5 rounds. It's do-able though. Good position & physical position help, but as stated in GEG's post - you gotta PRACTICE!!!.

[ 03-21-2004: Message edited by: speedbump ]
Old 03-21-2004, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>What 4ked Horn described is a classic description of the term "Natural Point of Aim"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What 4ked Horn couldn't remember to save his hide was that term.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:37 AM
Bronze Member

I am close to 50 and working on my second heart attack. I find that shooting is probably the MOST relaxing thing I can do for myself. The only problem is that when I set and look thru the scope, I see the POI moving severly with each beat of my heart.
To make a long story short, I had to figure out someway to either slow down my heart beat or (believe it or not) shoot between heart beats. I would say that I do some of everything listed so far and add a mental
approach to it also. The bottom line is that it takes 3 things to be able to repeat the process over and over again and to be able to see what works for you.
1. PRACTICE!
2. PRACTICE!
3. PRACTICE!
See you all at the range. GEG

[ 03-21-2004: Message edited by: GEG ]
Old 11-29-2009, 09:00 PM

Well I have not been doing this as long as a lot of you, but I don't seem to have problems with making shots accurate due to breathing. My point of impact is more affected by heartbeat. What I have been doing to calm breathing and heartbeat is lay down in shooting position, get my natural point of aim as close to point of impact as I can. Then I take 4 or 5 deep breaths, and letting my body become absolutely "loose". After I am satisfied, I make final adjustments on my point of aim, squeeze and fire. I found the biggest help was the deep breaths before the shot.