Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Breaking in new barrel question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Silver Member
Re: Breaking in new barrel question

Well, the new reamer theory sounds encouraging. I don't know if it's true or not but a Sako dealer did state that Sako uses a new reamer on each Sako barrel and then will use it one more time on the Tikka..?? Or they use a new one on Sako and scrap it. And a new one twice on Tikka and scrap it..?? Something like that he said. Anyway thanks for all the information on this subject. John

Unread 03-09-2005, 02:17 PM

Waltech Jim, krieger didn't tell me that barrel break-in was a myth. It was that the common break-in that procedure (one-shot-clean) that was. They told me to shoot and clean as I normally would. I usually clean every 20 rounds or end of season whichever comes first. They said that the barrel will eventually be broken in. I found that to be correct.

My gunsmith said the same thing. I will say this...once the barrel is broken in accuracy improves and it cleans super easy.

On another note, for those interested...Spooge from answer rifles is the BEST cleaner I've ever used.
Unread 03-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

John M.,

Thank you for clarifying that. The "fallicy" question was totally my idea to start the discussion with the tech rep. I didn't think asking about a break in procedure was relevent, if he didn't believe in the concept.

The way I worded my response did not make this clear.

The quality of the barrel pretty much dictates my cleaning regime during break in. But I certainly can't say after all these years and barrels, that I am altering the final outcome, if my (cleaning) regime is different than yours.

I have seen an accuracy improvement also. Using just one load to break in the barrel can often give you a pretty good indication of when it has "settled in".

Unread 03-10-2005, 08:45 PM

I just finished polishing a lajah ss barrel for my .264. The man that installed it said to use high copper content jacketed bulets and use a cleaning solvent the turned blue . Shot, clean,shot, clean. He say by the time you get a box of shells through the bore, your broken in.

It work just fine for me.