Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

breaking a barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2005, 12:15 PM

breaking a barrel

What is the process for breaking in a new barrel?
Thank you Dave
Old 06-20-2005, 02:56 PM

Re: breaking a barrel

Just shoot it and clean it when accurcy falls off.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

you'll get 50 different responses to this, everyone does it differently.

With my VLS I cleaned every 3 rounds for the first 18 shots, then cleaned every 5 rounds until I got to 38, then every 10 rounds till I got to 58, then I shoot until accuracy drops off or theres down time to fill [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

in those 58 shots thats 12 cleanings. Ill be honest though, my dad and uncle have given me rifles to take to the range just to see how they shoot. No such cleanings took place and years later they shoot just as good.

I might do the cleaning process again with the Sendero when it arrives, but that might be for peace of mind more or less.

just dont overdo it. its an easy trap to fall into and its no needed in my opinion. I know some guys who clean(no offense people) religiously, several times a day, all the time. They clean more than they shoot, and I dont know about you, but I bought my rifles to shoot [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Bronze Member

I just watched an episode of Guntech TV, and I believe it was the Springfield Armory talked about breaking in a barrel. He said to clean after every shot the first 5 shots, then after you shoot 5 shoots then clean, until you get to 30 total shots, and then your barrel is broke in. But you should clean your barrel all the time. That fowling attracts moisture, and that copper in your barrel produces electrolosis and both of these will pit a barrel.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:50 AM

You need to clean down to bare metal after every shot until cleaning time drops to almost nothing. Will happen suddenly. You will shoot 3 to 20 shots (depending on roughness of barrel)and clean alot of copper out after every shot. Than in 1 or 2 shots the copper fouling will go to almost nothing. Than shoot a few 3 or 5 shot groups, cleaning after each group. Shoot the longest bearing surface bullets you can find for breakin. They will do more smoothing than short ones.

"Ill be honest though, my dad and uncle have given me rifles to take to the range just to see how they shoot. No such cleanings took place and years later they shoot just as good."

After years of shooting and cleaning after 30-50 shots you have done the same thing just took a long time. Its the first shot down a clean barrel that does the smoothing. If you shoot 500 rounds, cleaning after every 50 you have 10 clean barrel shots. Those are the ones that did the breakin.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

This is the second most contended subject on the board, 308 v 30-06 being first. It's personal preference, I develop loads for custom rifles that are smith fresh to my door. I break in per the barrel manufacturers specs on those, but on my personal custom rigs I prefer the following method. Clean barrel spotless after each round up to 50. No brushes Period. This makes cleaning in the field quick as 3 patches. Some people consider this meticulous and anal, but it has made some seriously accurate rifles. They get gobbled up when I sell them.

On my factory rigs I do the multiples break-in, clean after 1,2,4,8,16,32,64 DONE. Different types of cutters and equip. are used to make different barrels, so the manufacturer has the best idea of how to treat their barrels properly.

*Trick* Clean the barrel completely to the best of your ability- Now run a patch with breakfree down it... I thought you cleaned that thing! It's always black when I do it too!

1. No brushes!
2. Breech to muzzle
3. Plastic coated rods only(a throat is a terrible thing to waste)
4. Use a rod guide
5. Never store the barrel naked

Do as you please, this is just a recommendation.

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com
Old 03-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Bronze Member

Shoot 3 shots and clean and don't worry about sighting in.
Don't even worry about a scope. Just blast off 3 shots.

Go sight in at 100 yards. This will be a rough sight in because the barrel in not broken in yet and moa accuracy will suck. Shoot about 15 rounds or so at this session including the sight in shots then clean the gun. Dont worry about groups. The barrel should be broken in enough to shoot pretty good at your next session especially if its a match barrel like a Lilja.

Next session go and shoot a few groups I usually shoot 4 or 5 groups of 3 letting the barrel cool between each group. These groups should be decent and should get better and better with each session.

You will KNOW when its broken in. It will shoot great and clean easy.

I know a lot of guys like the 1 shot clean method, but I think its a waste of time. I'm not knocking them as I have many shooting or reloading practices that are a waste of time, but I do it anyway.

Good Luck