Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

brass polishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2003, 08:50 AM

brass polishing

Do any of you use a tumbler to clean/polish your brass? Do you use the vibrating or rotary? Which works better? Thanks.
h
Old 04-22-2003, 12:46 PM

Re: brass polishing

Two choices...
1. But a Dillon vibratory tumbler.
2. Anything else.

The Dillon will last just about forever. (There is no better company service than Dillon)
The vibratory type is much faster than the rotary type.
You can do moly coating either by fixing small jars to the lid or by putting screw top jars into the media.
I would recommend that you get a case/media seperator as well. It really speeds up the process of getting all the corn cob out of the shells in a hurry with little/no mess.

Yes, I am prejudice... but I have had many other case cleaning systems.

Michael
Old 04-22-2003, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

Harv, I bought the Midway brand(vibratory), seems to work good, get yourself some corncob media for polishing and walnut for cleaning, I believe they still offer the whole kit, just checked my Midway catalog, they got a Frankford Arsenal case tumbler kit w/rotary media separator. $75.33. It's got everything you need. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] J
Old 04-22-2003, 04:27 PM
Gold Member

I too have the Frankford Arsenal w/ media seperator...and i like it..it's running now!!!...sakofan.... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2003, 05:27 PM

Check out Cabela's they sell a vibe kit $55
I have one works great. I would suggest the Separator for $17 makes it alot easer to et the media out of the case's
Jim
Old 04-23-2003, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the info. Sounds like everyone is using the vibratory type. I have a rock polisher (rotary) that I got when I was a kid. Can it be used and what results should I expect.
h
Old 04-23-2003, 01:42 PM
Gold Member

Harv...

What Michael Voigt said.

I used to own a "drum" type polisher (clothes drier tumbler type)... and it was the pits. The brass never got clean or polished.

I sold it to a guy that wanted to use it for moly, and I bought the large DIllon and the brass comes out like it was buffed on a wheel, and gold plated!
And we ALL know that shiny brass is much more accurate than dull brass [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]... but seriously last year I got a load of 50BMG brass soooo cheap I couldn't turn it down (I shoot a 50BMG)... 2,500 pieces for free! But it had been in the hold of a PBR in Florida, and was grungy and loaded with vertigris and crud.

I would load up the DIllon at night, and empty it in the morning, then load it up again and empty it in the afternoon... running 3 shifts a day 'til it was all done.
It ALL looks like new brass fresh out of the stamping mills.

Get a good quality vibratory machine and never loo back.]

I use corn cobb and a little of Dillon's blue stuff... that does it all.

CatShooter.

[ 04-23-2003: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

LRH member #23