Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Brake on a .243 / 6MM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Gold Member

Brake on a .243 / 6MM

Would you put a Brake on a .243 or a 6mm.............Why or why not?
Old 08-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: Brake on a .243 / 6MM

I put one on a 6x47 Lapua. I really didn't need it, but it's a designated varmint round so I wanted to spot hits no matter the distance. The thing kicks less than my AR! Depending on what you want to do, you don't need one but it'll make it so an infant could shoot it

Win Model 70
7WSM
Work done by Jim See (Center Shot Rifles)

Old 08-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Gold Member

What a great look MDL 70 What contour is your barrel? What kind of Brake is that it looks like its the same diameter as the barrel. One of the things that keeps me away from a brake is that I dont want a potato on the end of my barrel........
yes, it would be nice to have very little recoil...............

Center shot Rifles ....................what was your wait time on your rifle ..........did you or they order the parts.........

G
Old 08-11-2013, 03:46 AM
Silver Member

What contour is your barrel?.......On my 7WSM it is a #7, on my 6x47 Lapua it is a MTU contour. They both weight @ #15, I don't plan on hiking a lot with them lol

What kind of Brake is that it looks like its the same diameter as the barrel. One of the things that keeps me away from a brake is that I dont want a potato on the end of my barrel........ Both of my brakes where the "Muscle Brakes" that Jim at Center Shot Rifles developed. When he built my rifles I told him that I wanted them to be a seemless fit and he worked his magic.

What was your wait time on your rifle ..........Approximately 9-12 months, but unfortunately Jim sold his shop and now works for Surgeon Rifles.

did you or they order the parts.........He ordered everything, I just communicated via email back and forth numerous times and then when I was happy I wrote the check.

Win Model 70
7WSM
Work done by Jim See (Center Shot Rifles)

Old 08-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf18 View Post
I put one on a 6x47 Lapua. I really didn't need it, but it's a designated varmint round so I wanted to spot hits no matter the distance. The thing kicks less than my AR! Depending on what you want to do, you don't need one but it'll make it so an infant could shoot it
That is exactly why I'm getting a brake installed on my 6-284. Not a hard kicking rifle by any means, but hard kicking enough that the scope comes back and slaps my hat brim. Not good for spotting shots on gophers and PD's.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams