Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Bore brushing--yes or no?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

I use Wipe-Out and WO Accelerator from time to time. A buddy that has a borescope told me that when you leave Wipe-Out in the bore overnight that the foam settles in the bottom half of the bore and cleans the bottom half of the bore much better than the upper half.

He suggested that I always foam the bore twice, and that the rifle be inverted for the second application. Makes sense but who would have thought of that?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:45 PM

If you go on over to www.6mmbr.com, look down the left of the homepage for the barrel heading and then click on that. There is a lot more info on there than you could ever want from top shooters and barrel makers. It seems as though opinions differ greatly and there is no definitive answer.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Bronze Member

Nylon brushes

Are all I use...use 'em wet...Butches or BR9......Pac Nors...Tikka & Savage barrels are what I shoot....
Old 03-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Good stuff. Thanks to all.

Dawg, thanks for the link.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 03-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

He suggested that I always foam the bore twice, and that the rifle be inverted for the second application. Makes sense but who would have thought of that?[/quote]

Varmint Hunter. That's great info. My 15 year old son suggested this to me the other day. He asked me why I didn't rotate the gun while cleaning and told me I was probably only cleaning half of the bore. I'll try this next time.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Silver Member

I also use wipe out on a regular basis BUT It is not the cure all. If you only use wipe out you will run into problems at some point. CARBON will creep up and bit you. For wipe out only users, when you start to get FPS gains along with pressure you can bet there will be a carbon ring forming. At that point a brush and Tech or similar product is the only solution. I limit brushing But use it every so often. I have also noticed carbon problems come quicker with Reloader powders.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfire View Post
I also use wipe out on a regular basis BUT It is not the cure all. If you only use wipe out you will run into problems at some point. CARBON will creep up and bit you. For wipe out only users, when you start to get FPS gains along with pressure you can bet there will be a carbon ring forming. At that point a brush and Tech or similar product is the only solution. I limit brushing But use it every so often. I have also noticed carbon problems come quicker with Reloader powders.
I don't have a bore scope so I can't speak from experience but I talked with the guy at wipe out the other day because I had white residue left in the barrel, turned out it was just dried up wipe out that I left in too long. But he said that carbon is the most difficult type of fouling to remove but wipe out is supposed to remove it. But like I said I can't say from experience.