Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Bore brushing--yes or no?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Bore brushing--yes or no?

I stopped using bore brushes awhile back to protect the crowns, but am not sure it was a good move. I just wet and dry patch now. The barrel makers I have checked on have brushing in their recommended cleaning procedure.

What do shooters on this site think? Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 03-28-2008, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Spec,
I used a under-sized, nylon brush with a patch wrapped around it. For .284 cal barrel I'd use .264 brush. I run 3-4 through (chamber to muzzle) to get most of the fouling out and the rest "lubed" up. Then I use the brush/patch combo with copper remover as necessary. With the copper remover I work the brush/patch back and forth the length of the barrel, usually about 10 passes per patch. This is done until the patch stops "blueing".
This is probably more work than most folks like to do, but it works for me. Some barrels take longer than others depending on their internal smoothness. With my "worst" barrel I use 3-4 for powder fouling and then 10 with copper remover. My best barrel takes half that many. Hope this helps. JohnnyK.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

I use an undersized brush with a patch as well for just routine cleaning after a shooting session. Every once in a while I run a brush through it, it seems to get a little more out then just patching.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Lightvarmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by specweldtom View Post
I stopped using bore brushes awhile back to protect the crowns, but am not sure it was a good move. I just wet and dry patch now. The barrel makers I have checked on have brushing in their recommended cleaning procedure.

What do shooters on this site think? Tom
I put muzzle brakes on almost everything now so that the crown is protected when the rifle is barrel down in a vehicle during transport. Additionally, most muzzle brakes keep the bore brush centered with the barrel bore and prevent crown damage during cleaning.

James
Old 03-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

I don't own a bore scope but some of the shooters that do have claimed that the hardest area of the bore to get clean is the 90 degree corner where the lands meet the grooves. If this is true, it would seem that using a stiff brass/bronze brush would be the most effective method of attacking the fouling in such a tight crevice.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

I haven't had to use a brush since I began using Wipe Out.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Gold Member

I used to struggle with different solvents and copper cleaners, and burned through many bronze and nylon brushes trying to keep bores clean. Recently I started using Wipe Out and that seems to work great. No more brushing, just soak barrel and push a couple patches with a jag. It's amazing the gunk that this gets out of a barrel. One thing I have noticed is that it does take a couple of days to get clean. Another member suggested to use the Wipe Out Accelerator along with this. I have some on order and apparently this will decrease the cleaning time.