Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Boise . . . LRH Guys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Boise . . . LRH Guys

I live in Kuna and if you don't mind improvising your own range there is lots of country with in 30 mins you can shoot just about as far as you want.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Bronze Member

Yeah, I found a really good spot out towards the "Stage Stop" on the way to Mt Home. It's a draw about 800 yards long that's just deep enough that on windy days, it's very calm in the bottom of the draw. Problem is that I just don't know much about LR shooting, and no matter how much I read, there's just times when hands-on experience is the best teacher.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

Most things in life worth doing take a long time to master and hands on is the only way. Of course a good mentor helps. I would check out the Vale shooting club. I have belonged to one for almost 20 years and I have had mentors and I have also helped others. I even helped run the club for a few years.

---

Thanks for the additional information regarding ID. I hope to visit this spring and I will stop by Vale to see what is going on. I just signed up on their email list.

Idaho looks like a great State. Most of the Northwest looks great.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:07 PM

Check out BoiseShooters.com. There is a great bunch of guys on there that will help get started on everything from LR to USPSA to IDPA. The Parma Rod and Gun club is pretty active and they do a lot of long range stuff, including Mile Shoots!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like there are a lot of great clubs in that corner of ID that will get you going in the right direction. Now I have a two more to check out, Many thanks!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

A mentor is good for sure. I have a friend in Nampa and a gunsmith who got me rolling. I am set up and ready to go now. Wound up with a nice savage 116 in 6.5-284 and a night force. Got all the other tools to go with it. I am not new to reloading but I was far from understanding the LR principles. I primarily bow hunt so the LR thing is still a bit strange and sometimes the rifle feels weird. I stopped shooting on any sort of regular basis years ago. The renewed interest has me putting rounds out to a 1000 decently and now I want to stretch it out and find out my limits. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:44 AM

A few days ago, another Boise website was released. This one looks to be pretty focused on the various shooting disciplines and competitions available in Idaho. Check it out when you get a chance.

www.idahoguntalk.com