Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Bipods and group shooting ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 01:45 AM
Silver Member

Re: Bipods and group shooting ?

Ol' Mike, thanks for starting this thread, these are questions I have too.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I think the question is on the topic and was referred to.

I don't have a bipod yet and can't decide. I'm using a borrowed Harris.

Roy, I saw one of the Caldwells for the first time on Friday, but it was till in a sealed packet. I've seen no reference to them here before, but I like the heights that they come in.

How do you find it? Is the swivel and tilt tight enough to still be stable, because I see no locking mechanism for that? Do the legs flex a lot with the bigger guns? Do you prefer the Caldwell or Harris and why?

Thanks.

Wim
Old 06-27-2006, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

Terry Cross invented the Pod-Loc

Get a Harris Bipod, NOT a KNOCK-OFF!

Froggy does however know how to shoot from a bipod: http://www.6mmbr.com/TacticalFroggyA1.html

JB
Old 06-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the help everybody and pictures Roy.

I'm not sure i fully understand how the pod lock works.
I have a 13-25" harris that i've had for twemty yrs. -it doesn't swivel though.
Correct me if i'm wrong -does the pod-loc keep the swivelling bipods "tension" from "fighting" you as you shoot.You get on target letting the bipod swivel "? then" tighten the pod-loc? and that takes the tension out of the bipod springs?
I'm going to order a pod-loc and harris 9-13" w/ notched legs ,i wish i could find both at the same place.

Also will order another front rest --> probably cheaper than driving 6 hours to get the one in storage.Thanks for the help -Mike
Old 06-28-2006, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the help everybody and pictures Roy.

I'm not sure i fully understand how the pod lock works.
I have a 13-25" harris that i've had for twemty yrs. -it doesn't swivel though.
Correct me if i'm wrong -does the pod-loc keep the swivelling bipods "tension" from "fighting" you as you shoot.You get on target letting the bipod swivel "? then" tighten the pod-loc? and that takes the tension out of the bipod springs?
I'm going to order a pod-loc and harris 9-13" w/ notched legs ,i wish i could find both at the same place.

Also will order another front rest --> probably cheaper than driving 6 hours to get the one in storage.Thanks for the help -Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

You can... Email Terry Cross: kmw308@aol.com

or Triad Tactical, or Green Mountain Tactical

The pod loc is a lever that allows you to easily adjust the tension of the swivel mech. enough to completely lock it once you are level and on target.

JB
Old 07-07-2006, 12:25 AM

I tried one of the cheap biPods recommended on LRH last year; junk. I'll only use Harris until something is proven as good. Froggy used to visit this forum on occasion.

I found Bugholes from Bipod - Precision Shooting with Froggy very helpful.