Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Bipods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

Re: Bipods

I read somewhere, it might have been here, that pushing forward into the bi pod made your groups smaller. Mine weren't, however, I can shoot a decent facsimile of what I do from the bench rest. If my load shoots in the .5's from the rest( I don't have many of these) I might shoot .7's. I think I am about .25" bigger from the bi pod. I just got it at Christmas, so I am trying to learn just the right touch I need and also trying to be consistant. I do not push into it though. I just couldn't get the right amount of pressure I guess.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

NOTCHED and SWIVEL...the only way to fly Harris.

Preloading works very well for me (leaning into the bipod) getting 1/4MOA of vertical at 500yds with my new 6.5x47 shooting this way.

JB
Old 05-04-2007, 02:12 AM
Gold Member

I always just shot off the bipods, accuracy was ok, since I started preloading the bipod and keep a close watch on the level, I can now hit the proberbial broadside of the barn.
seriously though I do have a 1 7/8's group I shot off a bipod at 660 yds, you'd be surprised how how accurate you can be, and green mountain tacticle is the cheapest place to buy harris bipods
JS
Do y'all think maybe the rubber feet jumping upon firing causes the verticle? I don't use a pod off a bench, anything past 100 I'm prone on the ground.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:44 PM

I've used bipods for years with variable results. Shooting off hard or dry ground can, in my experience, cause the rifle to jump resulting in some highly embarrassing groups. I find that if I try to hold the rifle with my left hand under the butt the groups get worst. I hold the fore-end with my left hand and exert a little downward pressure, this works quite well and groups are more consistant when shooting off various surfaces. I've got boney shoulders and I don't think this helps my prone or bipod technique, anyone else find the same?

I've tried the preloading technique as described in "Bugholes" article and think I need to practice to gain the same pressure every shot.

I shoot quite a few deer a year from a waist high tripod that I carry when stalking and from this I shoot groups of .75 to 1.5 MOA and find this very useful in our flat lands. Interestly, the groups will always be approx. 1 moa to the right of my prone zero.

For those of you that are still awake I have some questions.

Does anyone find that locking the bipods legs on the Knurled wheel as well as well as the notch make them more consistent?

Do any of you boney shooters find bipods more difficult to use than our better covered brethren?

Do many other shooters take notice and record the change in impact point from different shooting positions? And if so how much difference does it make to you?

That was long winded, sorry.

Pappers