Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Bipod reccomendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 05:44 PM

Bipod reccomendation

Hi,
I'm normally a bench-rest shooter, but just bought my first "BIGGUN" a .338 Lapua, Stiller Tac-338 action, on McRee chasse, 29" Rock Creek 9.4 twist MTU profile barrel, 16lbs by itself, 17.5lb scoped. I've been shooting it off my Sinclair rest while working up a load, but will soon need a bipod for it. Have read reviews on Atlas, Versa-pod, Harris, Sinclair, etc... but haven't seen any of them first hand, all I ever had in my hands are the cheap $30 gun-show knock-offs commonly seen at the public range. So I though I'd ask for reviews and advice here.
Thanks,
JDBraddy
Old 08-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Bipod reccomendation

I prefer the Harris for heavy rifles but the Sinclair is a nice option it can certainly handle the weight.
I have been messing with the atlas but it's hard to beat the Harris for price and function

Jordan@406
Old 08-25-2014, 02:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406precision View Post
I prefer the Harris for heavy rifles but the Sinclair is a nice option it can certainly handle the weight.
I have been messing with the atlas but it's hard to beat the Harris for price and function

Jordan@406
+1 to all that. Have a Sinclair and 3 Harris swivel with lock arm. Next time out with the 16lb+ 338 will be with the Sinclair. On the Harris clover leafs at a simple 100 yards.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:14 AM
Silver Member

I use the GG&G extra heavy duty on a 16lb RUM and am happy with it............
Old 08-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

ATLAS bt10.

if you really want to hit your target, and not make a whole lot of extra work for yourself, just buy the thing.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

Ive been using the harris swivel style for a good while and its a solid product. I would recommend purchasing a cam lever to use with it instead of the knurled knob that comes with it.

However if my budget were more disposable id buy an atlas.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

I too have a Harris and it works well (BR, notched, swivel, and updated cant lock). I would like to try a Atlas, but 279$ for the quick throw lever model, plus 30$ for the picitani rail for your gun! Hard to justify the cost at this time. I will say, it may come in handy though, as I recently have been hiking and using my eberlestock J34 pack. I can not attach my Harris to my rifle and put it in the scabbard. Therefore I may need an alternative. I timed it the other day. I can take my pack off, take my gun out, set up, acquire a target, and send a dry fire in under a minute. My biggest issue was trying to attach my Harris to my gun!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread