Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Bipod Pressure / Binding?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-20-2004, 10:24 AM
Silver Member
Re: Bipod Pressure / Binding?

Hehehhh... wheels,huh? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But the stock stiffness point is a good one and that may need another thread. I shot ONE three shot 100 meter group today with the Lapua,no bipod just bags and it worked good -except the POI was a little low... just to confirm Im not getting too far out with this.

Quite refreshing to have a .22 rimfire day every now and then, it gets interesting after 150 meters. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Unread 03-20-2004, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Have you guys seen the new Sinclair bipod in their latest catalog. Got a feeling it might be a nasty alternative to the good old faithfull Harris for steel clankin' and p-dogs. Pricey and I don't like the cross-rod, but sure looks solid and adjustable. Can't imagine having it attached to the forend, but it does.
Unread 03-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

Okay, I got some skis and even a set of floats too, for the diehards of course. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Guess I haven't got the newest Sinclair, 2003b is the latest one I have, I think.

I too like the swivel, notched ones best. Never had the dial knob adjustable type collapse though, so they have worked fine for me. Never used it on a rifle over 11 lbs though...
Brent Moffitt
Unread 03-20-2004, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Oh.? You guys thought I was kiddin', huh..??
.. Well how's about this, m'man.. If'n ya get yerself a big enough set'o'wheels (sleds for you guys inna frozen north) on yer bipod ya could use it to roll summa these heavy-arsed rifles afield, too..!! Talk about yer multi-purpose accessory..!!
.. Jes make sure that whichever of ya it is that fabricates this stroke'o'genius cuts 'ol Jake in on a little of the returns..!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] JiNC
Unread 03-21-2004, 12:05 AM
Silver Member

Wheels? Naw, maybe some landing skis for Ian, Petander, Brent, & Ric from November - March. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'll second the motion submitted for the Harris' with the notched legs & cant adjustment. I've had the tension screw style loosen & DROP to one side at some VERY inopportune moments. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Once the notches are set, the cant adjustment lets you fine tune without having to give your position away with motion.

One more thing - if you're setting up in deep snow, your bipod feet will sink down over time. If you don't pay attention to it, your muzzle will be BELOW the snowbank your resting on even though the scope's view is clear & unobstructed. You'll know it as soon as you pull the trigger...that swirling cloud of snow & ice produced by a +3,000fps bullet is a clue! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Petander, the Sinclair catalog has some screw-on attachments for front rests that F-class shooters like. They have a pointy nub on the bottom. That may be just the ticket to omdify or fabricate one that can screw on the bipod legs. Just a thought...... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Unread 03-21-2004, 07:26 PM

Tested the 3 techniques today...

forward pressure resulted in groups impacting high at given distances

neutral relulted in same POI as normal

rear pressure resulted slightly higher impact but not detrimental to hunting accuracy..

all testing was done with the 308 at distances of 550 and 750...

just thought you might be curious of my findings.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Unread 03-24-2004, 06:43 AM
Silver Member

*to the sound of crickets chirping*
.. Yikes.!! Do I know how to shut down a room or what.?!?

.. Did I need to include some sortof note indicating my last post was a joke.?? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Back on topic...

.. Since my server is being a beast with passwords of late I can't modify this pic to just show the part relative to this topic..
..If you look at the 2nd target from the left on the top row you'll see the edge of a group that was just off paper for the most part and one group at the top edge of the dot.. This was just something I threw at the target to test a theory about "tensioning" the bipod a couple of years ago with a decently accurate Ruger 6BR.. The group went a good inch out from normal POI for an "untensioned" bipod.. There's one more group on the next target to the right fired with a tensioned bipod.. FWIW.. d:^) JiNC

[ 03-24-2004: Message edited by: Jake in NC ]