Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Bipod Bounce?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bipod Bounce?

Let us know how it goes. 90% of my shooting is done from a bipod. I shoot best off a bipod. When load testing, I'll lay down rather than shoot off the bench. It's what I'm most familiar with.

I've seen odd recoil, in situations I expect it. Shooting off the hood, or any time the recoil is interfered with. One should remember the rifle needs to track straight, and set up so it can.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bipod Bounce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
If you are shooting on a bench try going to a prone position. Make sure the recoil pad is firmly on your shoulder to remove all slack and provide a slght forward pressure known as preloading the bipod. Also try to be as straight behind the rifle as possible.Jeff
Most of my shooting in prone with bipod/rear bag. +1 on Broz's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
If you are using a Harris bi-pod with notched legs and springs in the legs , don't shoot off the lowest setting as it will bounce on the springs , use the first notch position as the lowest setting.
I've never heard this but it makes total sense. I have noticed I shoot better with my .338 when I have my bipod that doesn't have the notches on it. The other bipod I have for it is the short model that has notched legs and swivels. I knew it had something to do with the bipod, just couldn't pinpoint what it was. I kinda figured it was the swivel being torqued under recoil.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.